Who is your origami idol?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
~folder~of~paper~

Who is your origami idol?

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

I'd choose myself! :D nah, but definately not rick beech. He's released the same book over 20 times, using different covers, names and sizes and prices. What a cheapo!
I'd say Kunihiko Kasahara, I love his area puzzles in origami omnibus (one of the best origami theory books eva!)
wolf
Forum Sensei

Re: Who is your origami idol?

Post by wolf »

~folder~of~paper~ wrote:He's released the same book over 20 times, using different covers, names and sizes and prices.
This may not be entirely within the author's control. Book publishers often retain the rights to reproduce the same book in whatever new form they wish.
~folder~of~paper~

Rick Beech

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

I suppose, but majority were signed copies, that i saw in the library, so... :?
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

come on... if my publisher would call me and say "hey, let's publish your book once more, no extra work, just earning money", I would say "yeah, let's do that, what a great idea!".
there's not such a thing like a folders-honour.

regarding to your questiond I would go for Mr. John Montroll. he's doing origami that is fun to fold and not that much frustrating as those of the 200+ steps designers.
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

me :)
Alexandre

Post by Alexandre »

rockmanex6 you are my idol ! =D>
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Idol? Hard to say, but I wish, that my models once will be as amusing as Jeremy Shafer´s as stunnishing as Eileen Tan´s and Kamiya Satoshi´s, as well folded as JMcK´s and as natural as Robert Lang´s. Enough idols for the moment?

PS: Alexandre, you should search for better idols... :wink:
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Origami idol for models to watch: Hojyo Takashi
Origami idol for models to fold: Thoki Yenn
Origami idol for models that are cool: Jason Ku
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

yes Montroll Good
Edwin Corrie

Re: Who is your origami idol?

Post by Edwin Corrie »

~folder~of~paper~ wrote:definately not rick beech. He's released the same book over 20 times, using different covers, names and sizes and prices. What a cheapo!
Wolf is right when he says that it's usually the publishers who are responsible for this. The same has happened with many of Paul Jackson's books over the years. They're still good books, as are Rick's.

My own idols? I agree with you about Kasahara, who seems to excel at many different kinds of origami. But there are many other folders I admire a lot, for a variety of reasons.
Edwin Corrie

Post by Edwin Corrie »

As a postscript to the above, I just saw on the BOSmail list that Paul Jackson has expressed annoyance at all the publishers' rehashes of his books, even to the point of suggesting that it may create bad feeling towards him as the author. He says he has written to the publisher and is awaiting a reply.

(Sorry to veer off the topic of idols, but it relates exactly to the point raised above.)
Hiba

Post by Hiba »

Idol to admire: Yoshizawa Akira and Kamiya satoshi,Robert J.Lang

Yoshizawa sensei is undoubtably a master,his works have a simple construction but I'm Mega hard to master. Like Japanese martial arts,simple,pure but the way to master them takes you the whole life.
I call his style 'Spiritual Origami'. No matter how much time you have spent,your model will not be the same with his result. To name a phew author in this style: Giang Dinh.

In contrast,Kamiya Satoshi and R.Lang are surely masters at some what I call 'technical origami'. It's hard to follow their way,hard to understand the structure and hard to fold. But if you can overcome these problems your works can be compared with the author. And your insect looks like mine,your dragon looks the same to me. It's hard to have a difference between your model and my model follwing this technical style. But it's impressive ! I can say there's nothing that can not be created with this style.

My real Idol is Hojo Takashi,whose style stands between the spiritual and technical one. His structure is not very simple as Yoshizawa sensei's but it's not as complex as Kamiya or Dr.Lang's . However you must pay your effort to trully master the model. And the look are different depend on the folders. Hojo Takashi is everything for me.
Martial and Arts
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Hmmm... now that I think of it I remember we had a similar topic some time ago: viewtopic.php?t=1233
You can find my answer there ;-)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

To Hiba:
Its is ok some agree some not, I dont want follow his way :) He yoshi and kamiya both stricta. This is not idol, you share.
caysao1

Post by caysao1 »

I like Montroll hope that nobody so far has the same idol. I like him because i fold pretty good with his models. Other like kamiya's or lang's are good but i never done it well so not my idol.

Does anyone have pictures of the models fold by John Montroll himself?