Large rolls of foil in the US

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
bethnor
Buddha

Large rolls of foil in the US

Post by bethnor »

i know there was a previous thread discussing this, but i couldn't find it. i probably overuse foil, but i love the 50 cm foil rolls from nicolas terry's origami shop. it's relatively thin and easy to shape. it comes in 50 cm length, making it good for practicing complex models, and since it's easily shaped, gives very presentable, very satisfactory final results. here is kamiya's spinosaurus from it.

as time passes, though, models are getting more complex, and even 50 cm is sometimes too small (you can still definitely do any model with it, just some parts get so small), so i've searched high and low for a suitable alternative, and have found two stateside.

the first is alufoil. many of you who live in the states should be familiar with it, as they are the providers of the extra large foil you can buy at the OUSA convention. i have contacted them, and it is possible to buy this in 26" x 25 ft rolls for an incredible $6.85/roll. here are several phoenixes i've folded from it (the phoenix being a good example of a model that's not impossible, but at 50 cm, the head details get small).

another i have recently tried is hygloss foil, which you can buy from many places, including amazon or directly from the manufacturer. while it's more expensive than the alufoil stuff, it does come in a wide variety of colors. here is a phoenix i've completed with this foil.

in terms of quality, both fold very much like those rolls of nicolas terry foil, seem to be about as thin, and strength seems to about the same (not very strong, lol). like all forms of foil, the color tends to crack, so you're better off using white side up. happy folding!
Benlewisorigami

Re: Large rolls of foil in the US

Post by Benlewisorigami »

Wow! That spinosaurus looks great! Maybe when I get paid next week, i'll get it. Thanks for the tips :)
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
fncll

Post by fncll »

What thickness of the alufoil did you get? I see they have quite a range on their site...
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

^^^
i got the interest in purchasing alufoil a long time ago, and i remember being able to find it on their website. it has since changed, and i found about the correct option by contacting their sales rep directly and inquiring. if you're interested, i think that's what you'll have to do. just mention that you want the OUSA foil.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

what i actually wanted the title of this thread to be was "large foil in the US."

previously, the only way to get 35 cm japanese foil was through origami-shop.

the nippon origami association actually has an online store that i tried recently. kimscrane used to sell 36 sheet variety packs of japanese foil, but they stopped (presumably because of bad sales). anyway, the NOA shop carries both silver and gold japanese foil in the 35 cm size. you will find them in the 35 cm one sided origami paper section (not in the foil section).

the price is very reasonable. i bought 200 sheets (4 packs), and with shipping and handling, this came out to ~ 20 cents/sheet. for comparison, when i buy 5 packs of 20 sheets from origami-shop (for the discounted price of $11.74/pack), this comes to ~ 58 cents/sheet, BEFORE shipping and handling.

my shipment just arrived, as i wanted to be sure it was the genuine article before i posted.