Making Large Double-Tissue?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Lephantome92

Making Large Double-Tissue?

Post by Lephantome92 »

What methods of making large double-tissue work best for you? I'm trying to think of a way to make a gargantuan square because of how quickly the layers get thick in my Medusa 2.2, but I don't have much to go on. What I'm currently thinking is putting tissue paper ribbons on the correct sides in between the layers of DT, and using that to join at each edge. Has anyone done anything like that before to know if it works or not?
marckrsh

Re: Making Large Double-Tissue?

Post by marckrsh »

Assuming you are talking about tissue foil, yes I have done this before. I got gargantuan foil from a food services supplier (I think it is over 30" wide). When using smaller foil, I have joined them with spray glue along an edge. This giant sheet gets folded in half, and tissue is adhered to both outer sides. I then roughly trim along the folded edge. When it is flattened, the fringes will slightly overlap. Yes, you can see a little overlap in the final model, but it tends to be somewhat minor. The same procedure can be done on the other side. - Marc
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

i've been wondering how to do this myself, and just came up with a solution. after you make two sheets of double tissue, you join them together along the long edge. the question comes up, what's the best way to do this?

first, i tried regular elmer's glue. this joins the paper, but the problem is, the overlapping area becomes very stiff from the glue. this won't be a problem if a fold is perpendicular to the overlapping area, but it is very problematic if the fold happens to fall right over the overlapping area.

then i tried diluting the elmer's 1:1. it certainly joins the paper, however, there is a lot of wrinkling. i imagine you would have the same problem with methylcellulose.

glue stick is what seems to work the best. it dries without significant wrinkling and won't stiffen the paper too much (not noticeably at all, actually). you really have to apply the stuff on, as the paper tends to come apart otherwise. the first time i used it with a single application, the paper came apart in certain areas, and i had to reapply it. going over previous areas of glue at least once or twice seems to alleviate the problem. after you join the sheets, cut the square to your desired dimensions.

this way, you can theoretically make as large a square of double tissue as you like. If someone has another method that works, please share.
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

glue stick !! but buy many To save on trips To The store ,,,obviously a large sheet OF tissue paper IS going To come unstuck because glue stick dries In 3-4 minutes For large areas thats common sense but you'll find a method OF glueing With experience ....my next choice Would be uhu Or bostik for tissue paper As For doubling Its only The edges And bisectors That need glue If YOU Can avoid air bubbles So long As The borders are sealed there shouldnt be a hitch!
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

I'm having trouble with double tissue too. I placed a (slightly crumpled) sheet of 45cm pink tissue paper on a table, then brushed a layer of diluted Elmers glue (1:1 glue:water ratio). Then I placed another sheet of 45cm blue tissue paper over it as best as I could. I ended up with bubbles and tears. The result was unsatisfactory, and I'm also finding it hard to cut it into a perfect square. Any tips?
(You can see how small my brush was)
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

One solution I've found when it comes to larger sheets is to roll the second sheet up and then unroll it over the first sheet. The same procedure also works for placing the first sheet on the wet surface. (That should minimize wrinkling, but it's more difficult with thinner paper.)
As others have said, a small overlap should work well; note that I haven't tried that myself. And, regarding the brush size, mine is about 3-4" wide, and it works pretty well.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Splunge

Post by Splunge »

For cutting a perfect square I use stencils in different sizes made from hard wood fiber boards:
The local hardware stores (at least in Germany) cut them from big boards to the desired sizes.

For cutting along the stencil edges I use a roll cutter. With a standard cutter, thin paper may tear easily.

As underground I recommend a self-healing cutting mat.
splunge.de - Origami, Papercraft, Scale models, Photography
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

NeverCeaseToCrease wrote:I'm having trouble with double tissue too. I placed a (slightly crumpled) sheet of 45cm pink tissue paper on a table, then brushed a layer of diluted Elmers glue (1:1 glue:water ratio). Then I placed another sheet of 45cm blue tissue paper over it as best as I could. I ended up with bubbles and tears. The result was unsatisfactory, and I'm also finding it hard to cut it into a perfect square. Any tips?
one thing to do is to place the sheets directly over one another and applying enough mc to let it seep through to the second layer. the method you are using is more likely to introduce bubbles.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I have a 30x40" sheet drying at the moment. I set the tissue sheets down, overlapping them about 1/4", and soaked them in MC. I'll get back to you tomorrow with news on how it turns out.

EDIT: And it turned out great. You can see the model I used it for on my Flickr.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr