Publishing Diagrams Online

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
wilsonorigami

Publishing Diagrams Online

Post by wilsonorigami »

In preparation for either compiling a book or sending diagrams in to various conventions, I've been practicing my diagramming skills in Inkscape. I decided to start with some of my models that I get a lot of requests for diagrams for, but that might be problematic to publish in a book (i.e. copyrighted characters like my Dalek), so that I can post them online to get feedback.

My question is, what methods do people recommend for sharing diagrams online? I use Flickr for photos and CPs, but I can't upload pdfs there. I could post the pages as separate png images, but I would like to keep them together somehow. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Also, as a side note, what are people's thoughts about the logistics of publishing models of copyrighted characters? I know if I submitted the diagrams to a collection I would likely have to change the name (a la Satoshi Kamiya's "Yellow Bird"), but on the other hand I've never seen online crease patterns bother to do this (including on Kamiya's own website, where he outright calls the same model a chocobo). Which camp would online diagrams fall into?
Gerardo
Buddha

Re: Publishing Diagrams Online

Post by Gerardo »

These are my two cents.In regards to uploading PDF files with diagrams on the web. Neorigami is usually an option, yet I'm working on an update, so you can't create new accounts for now. I do hope you take it into consideration in the near future once I update it :).

Now, about creating models of characters from books, movies, comics, etc., bear in mind I'm not a lawyer, still it's a subject I'm interested in. Those kind of models are fan art; if they weren't authorized by the copyright holder of the original work then they are infringing copyright law according to the US law among others. Now, fan art isn't usually attacked by copyright holders, especially if it doesn't have a commercial nature.

In relation to the name of the characters, well that's usually related to trademark law. I haven't ever asked but I can assume why models have the name of the original characters on the web but not on printed mediums. Since it's fan art, it usually isn't attacked by the trademark owners either, but if it were, in most cases they begin with a cease and desist letter. SInce the diagrams are on the web, you can easily respond by removing the diagrams or by changing the name of the model if that's all the cease and desist letter demands. When it comes to printed media, changing something from an already printed book or magazine is A LOT more complicated. Know what I mean?

Hope this helps :).
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

I highly doubt that there are people searching the web for copywrited origami. If you do get contacted just change the name.
You can post your diagrams on flick and then put them all in one album. I did it for my goat a couple of years back. Just check my flickr.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk
wilsonorigami

Post by wilsonorigami »

Thanks for your suggestions! For now I decided to follow roodborst's advice and post the pages separately on my Flickr in the same album. So far I have finished the diagrams for my Dalek: https://www.flickr.com/photos/47869008@ ... 2106201384
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Link does not work for me.

Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

(It works fine here.)
wilsonorigami

Post by wilsonorigami »

roodborst wrote:Link does not work for me.

Hmm. Try this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47869008@N ... 2106201384

Otherwise, does the link to my photostream in my signature work? It shouldn't be too hard to find the diagrams from there.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Link still doesn't work. Signature does not show. I use my mobile and the tapatalk app too use the forum nowadays. It think that is the problem.