1000 Cranes for Cancer- Shadow Question

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
joshnaryan

1000 Cranes for Cancer- Shadow Question

Post by joshnaryan »

Hi everyone. This is my first time here on this board and I wanted to ask you all a question. My student org and I have made over 1,000 origami cranes, using 7 x 7 cm and 10 x 10 cm paper, for a child with leukemia and we would like to donate the cranes to her enclosed in a shadow box.

Does anyone have any experience with this or have recommendations for shadow boxes? We are having a tough time figuring out how big of a shadow box we need in order to contain all of the cranes without it being loose as well.

Thanks!
Last edited by joshnaryan on April 4th, 2019, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baltorigamist

Re: 1000 Cranes for Cancer- Shadow Question

Post by Baltorigamist »

A lot depends on how they'll be arranged in the shadowbox. If you're simply stringing them up and cramming them in, I think something like 18x24" or smaller should be good (that's just an educated guess, as I've never done a thousand cranes myself).
On the other hand, if you want them to be more spaced out, it would be better to use several boxes. (My idea would be to use ten boxes that each have 100 cranes (10 strings of 10 each).) This would require boxes that are about 14" square if my estimate is accurate.
Also, depending on how many were from each size, you could arrange them nicely by stringing them together alternately (one smaller, one larger, another smaller, and so on).
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Who would have guessed? The most convincing Spam post I've read in a while. Kudos.
The post remains, the Spammer and his links vanish.
steingar

Post by steingar »

I could have guessed, since his original signature linked some very nasty and utterly inappropriate websites.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

He must have put this signature after the post was approved. We always check. But if you see something like this, please report the post (the right exclamation mark on the top right of each post is especially for that reason).
pinknemo13

Post by pinknemo13 »

I've folded a complete set of 1000 plus about 600 more. It does take a long time depending on how much time you spend per day. It may help to group cranes together to use as markers for progress. For example, I string 25 cranes together (you'd need 40 total) so every 25 I can say, that's another 40th done! Also use fun paper!