OrigamiHouse Next Publication List

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
bethnor
Buddha

Re: OrigamiHouse Next Publication List

Post by bethnor »

Folderp wrote:I'm a little disappointed that the front cover model is his horse. If the title model is his horse, which has already been diagrammed, what does that say about the rest of the models?

But on the bright side, it's being released a lot sooner than we thought, and at 232 pages, it's a good size book. (And only 15 models too! I do like my pages per model to be quite high). Can't wait to see the model list.
umm. historically, works of satoshi kamiya have always been anthologies, with only a handful of undiagrammed models included. the same should be expected here. yes, it is disappointing, but one can't hope the trend to change. for example, i won't be surprised if styracosaurus 2.0 shows up. that one would be "triple dipping."
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

bethnor wrote: umm. historically, works of satoshi kamiya have always been anthologies, with only a handful of undiagrammed models included. the same should be expected here. yes, it is disappointing, but one can't hope the trend to change. for example, i won't be surprised if styracosaurus 2.0 shows up. that one would be "triple dipping."
I am aware that the previous two have been mostly anthologies, however both those books were headed by a previously undiagrammed model (ancient dragon, phoenix). But this one apparently has the tiger, which confuses me because it's undiagrammed and they didn't make it the front cover model. Oh well, at least it has some new models still.

Although I do already have his styracosaurus and sheep diagrams...
Oh well, I'll probably end up buying it anyway.
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
merman

Post by merman »

Maybe the cover is not definite yet or the back of the book. Also, Kamiya taught the Tiger in class. The fact it has ‘only’ 15 models might indicate there are only big models included. Also: I hope many of you realize most of these models are not available to the general public. Not everyone has access to the convention books and JOAS special editions LEGALLY.

I praised Kamiya san for still releasing books like this in the digital era. Never forget how JOAS/Origami House needs our support. Hence my membership. I was shocked to hear they have little over 300 members! Their existence is essential for complex origami!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

merman wrote:Maybe the cover is not definite yet or the back of the book. Also, Kamiya taught the Tiger in class. The fact it has ‘only’ 15 models might indicate there are only big models included. Also: I hope many of you realize most of these models are not available to the general public. Not everyone has access to the convention books and JOAS special editions LEGALLY.

I praised Kamiya san for still releasing books like this in the digital era. Never forget how JOAS/Origami House needs our support. Hence my membership. I was shocked to hear they have little over 300 members! Their existence is essential for complex origami!
i'm not complaining necessarily, but the fact of the matter is, people who get the convention books and tanteidan magazine are getting it from the same source as all the gallery origami house books--origami-shop, OUSA, or straight from gallery origami house itself, as there's really no other place to get them (legally). i still get all these books to support gallery origami house and because they have high production values in general. but still, would it for instance *kill* JOAS to print styracosaurus 2.2 instead of 2.0 for the third time?
merman

Post by merman »

My assumption is there are few more Tantaidan Magazine members than people who buy the books and there are even fewer special members

Also, since the Styracosaurus was recently republished, I don’t think it will be included this time. Hopefully we get either the wasp or the caribu.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

merman wrote:My assumption is there are few more Tantaidan Magazine members than people who buy the books and there are even fewer special members

Also, since the Styracosaurus was recently republished, I don’t think it will be included this time. Hopefully we get either the wasp or the caribu.
i went to a tanteidan convention a few years ago. it was very well attended. everyone there gets a tanteidan convention book, so for everyone there, these anthologies are slightly redundant.
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

merman wrote:Maybe the cover is not definite yet or the back of the book.
I don't know, they've already started printing it after all. And unless they've changed the cover format, that's the front cover, japanese text on top, english underneath.
merman wrote:The fact it has ‘only’ 15 models might indicate there are only big models included.
Yes, I was indicating that I was happy about that. I knew that (probably) indicated big models.
merman wrote:Never forget how JOAS/Origami House needs our support. Hence my membership. I was shocked to hear they have little over 300 members! Their existence is essential for complex origami!
Should I get a membership too? I should probably get a membership, shouldn't I.
merman wrote:Also, since the Styracosaurus was recently republished, I don’t think it will be included this time. Hopefully we get either the wasp or the caribu.
That would be nice. (I'd prefer the wasp though).
bethnor wrote:i went to a tanteidan convention a few years ago. it was very well attended. everyone there gets a tanteidan convention book, so for everyone there, these anthologies are slightly redundant.
They're generally still worth buying if you only have a couple of convention books, because there'll still be a bunch of models you don't have. (And the high production value and all).
Oh well, fingers crossed we get the wasp or caribou! [-o<
My flickr
merman

Post by merman »

Models:

1.Penguin Chick #
2. Rooster @
3. Manta Ray #
4. Angelfish %
5. Loggerhead Sea Turtle @
6. Eurypterus *
7. Deinonychus #
8. Spinosaurus @
9. Horse &
10. Tiger #
11. Longheaded Locust %
12. Butterfly #
13. Dragonfly &
14. Praying Mantis @
15. Zero Fighter #

* unpublished
# taught in class, unpublished
@ Tanteidan Convention Book
% Tanteidan Magazine
& Tanteidan Special Edition
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

personally, i'm just glad the ram isn't in it.
FoldSkate

Post by FoldSkate »

I'm so excited for the eurypterus I can never collapse the crease pattern!
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

bethnor wrote:personally, i'm just glad the ram isn't in it.
Me too.
This is quite a list. I don't have any of the models in it either, and almost half of them are previously unpublished. Most excited about the zero fighter. I'm definitely getting this book.
My flickr
merman

Post by merman »

Why so negative about the ram? Okay, the horns are tedious...
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

merman wrote:Why so negative about the ram? Okay, the horns are tedious...
It looks like it's a great model, although I haven't folded it. But it's just that I already have the instructions, so...
My flickr
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

merman wrote:Why so negative about the ram? Okay, the horns are tedious...
because you need very large paper that is also very thin, but it's only the horns that really need the thin paper. sure, nearly all complex paper need large, thin, paper, but a lot of the time, the need for the thinness is spread throughout the model, where with the ram, it's literally only the horns. this makes choices of paper for aesthetics also somewhat tricky (i can't really use a "full" bodied paper to give the fewer layered body more weight, the horns will get too thick).
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

What about making a custom paper square, using a thin material where the horns will be and a stronger material where the rest of the body will be?
It's like assembling many sheets of papers to make a larger square. The result will be an unbalanced square of paper, but it should suit your needs when folded.