Jang Yong Ik--Smilodon

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
dinogami

Jang Yong Ik--Smilodon

Post by dinogami »

Hi all! - I'm working on this Smilodon model, diagrammed in Origami Pro 5. I've managed it once so far, but without doing step 95, which I don't really get. I can't seem to reverse fold out any flaps that resemble step 96 closely at all. The diagrams for this model do have a few small errors in them; is this another one, or am I missing something? Thanks for any help!
bethnor
Buddha

Re: Jang Yong Ik--Smilodon

Post by bethnor »

it's gonna be awhile before i'm gonna get to this one. but just eyeballing it, i see there is an open sink a few steps before. that flap looks like the opposite side of an open sink of an octagonal point. it may be to achieve that look, you just need to fiddle with orientation of the swivel folds.
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

I appreciate the response! I got the sink part successfully; it's just that no matter how I swivel paper out in step 95, it never looks like the little "half frog base"-looking bit in the diagram. I can easily get something triangular, but with the apex of the triangle farther back rather than the symmetrical thing in the diagram. I know this step is pretty much cosmetic for the model, so it's not a big deal; I was just curious what I was missing... :D
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

so i got it:

i wasn't saying you couldn't do the sink; i was just thinking of the easiest way of describing it. i'll try again. it's like the hadrosaur beaks in kawahata origami fantaasy. picture a point with eight sides (pic 1). open sink (pic 2). spread out the sink so you can see the octagon (step 3). fold the lower half up (step 4). you've probably done it hundreds of times, and after those hundreds, usually you have to rearrange the layers to get the red circled arrangements because the sink is never *quite* perfect.

these steps in the smilodon are like that. you've already done the complex open sink; now pull out the lowest parts of the octagon. rearrange the surrounding flaps. hope this helps!

ETA: sorry for the slow response! getting old. i always forget how to embed pics, and i always have to relearn. an unfortunate aspect of modern origami, as well, is that you always need a large sheet (takes one night), then you need to get to the step in question (more nights).
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

That's extremely helpful--thank you!!! I'm going to tackle the model again soon and will use this!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

in fact, jerry, if you have the completed model in front of you, you should be able to fix it. as you indicated earlier, it doesn't really impact anything important, it just forms the lower jaw, and the flaps in question should be accessible.
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

Ah, alas, the model is off to a new home already. But I will tackle the model again shortly! :D