Akira Yoshizawa 's 30 years Cicada

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Hiba

Akira Yoshizawa 's 30 years Cicada

Post by Hiba »

Hi artists !!
I have read an article on Origami from a Viet Namese Newspaper. It says Akira Yoshizawa is considered as a Grand Master (I know) and his most complex model is the cicada. It took him over 30 years to complete.
I wonder how is it look ? can it be prepared to ones desgined by Robert J.Lang and other Origami authors like Meguro Toshiyuki ?
Can anyone provide me a photos of this 30 years cicada?
Thank you very much in advance.
Martial and Arts
stuckie27

Post by stuckie27 »

sounds interesting
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

mayb (more > old Montrol)
over 30 years to complete.
I wonder how is it look ? can it be prepared to ones desgined by Robert J.Lang and other Origami authors like Meguro
Last edited by rockmanex6 on March 17th, 2005, 9:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

think looks soso, compex at this time agoo... (was more lik hi-inter?)
He is not known so mush compex, but more master... not relying compex but.. teqnic of folds, shape (& air folding?)! :)

ex som acommplisment: "fully three dimensional folding was provided by the Japanese Master, Akira Yoshizawa. His overriding aim as to capture the essence of his subject rather than simply reproduce all the salient features. To do this, he introduced two key concepts; folding softly and wet-folding."

"... Yoshizawa added colour to "this view by suggesting that some creases should be made more " softly than others. The technical problem of adding gentle creases is that they do not readily stay in place as the fold is handled. Completed works were therefore very fragile and impermanent. Yoshizawa overcame this by wet-folding "
and "Yoshizawa explains many fibers in tissue. He pushed the soft tissue against a heavy photographer's tripod. Obviously the tripod was an immovable object as far as the limp piece of" tissue was concerned. He then began to fold and roll tissue into a tight cylinder about the size and thickness of your thumb. And, as you might" expect, it was now strong enough to move the tripod. He also demonstrated that the tissue could even be used to lift a heavy metal desk. The Strength in Unity theme here reated to the wood fibers in the tissue.
"Most memorable arrangment > insects, stegosaurus with amazing detail, a chimpanzee's face done in two colors, a peacock, gorilla, frogs and lily pads. A beautifully proportioned polar "bear and a California condor
.....whole series of masks and faces in a variety of poses and characters. he often would break into a bit of pantomime further expressing the character of the masks. sneezing man, yawning man>smiles when right side up, frowns when upside down"

u c

Rock n Robot <<>>
juangt98

Re: Akira Yoshizawa 's 30 years Cicada

Post by juangt98 »

Years later i write this response:

It is interesting that one of the first Robert Lang's cicada was inspired by Akira Yoshizawa's own cicada. In the OrigamiUSA "Anual Convention 2015 The Paper" there's an article discussing this story and the way the cicada was rediscovered. In a video Robert Lang also discusses this story and compares his recreation of Akira Yoshizawa's cicada and his own Opus 116.

[youtube video] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDwPXRy9IFc&t=318s

I will like to ask if someone other that Robert Lang had been able to recreate Yoshizawa´s cicada?
sattej

Re: Akira Yoshizawa 's 30 years Cicada

Post by sattej »

So I found this via a Google image search ("Yoshizawa cicada" as search string, link on Flickr below) in a photograph of what seems to be Robert Lang's exhibit in 2015, more likely than not Origami USA 2015. Lang graciously provided a CP of the model next to the recreated Akira Yoshizawa cicada. So that's the good news.

The bad news is it looks that it would still be really some puzzling shaping to get to the cicada. The CP is structurally 'simple'.. it is two blintzed frog bases stuck side-by-side in a 2x1 rectangle. He does mark 'A' through 'M' and it looks more likely that the left side is the head and right side the wings. No M/V, just creases. But even on Lang's own notes it indicates he reconstructed it from crease pattern, photo, and video images. Here you have only two of those (CP + photo) and that leaves us with one less tool than Lang had, and he is also immensely talented, so, that might not present favorable odds unless a person was very determined.

In another image found using same original search string, presented without CP (but presumably the same) he indicates use of duo paper so I guess it is possible to color change, the wings maybe? I would take him at his word that it is duo paper but if there is a color change the two colors are not super well differentiated.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/orangex3/ ... otostream/
(with CP and point indications)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/orangex3/27874300661/
(without CP and describing use of duo paper)

If anyone tackles this let me know :D