What is elephant hide?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
saj

What is elephant hide?

Post by saj »

People always go on about how wonderful elephant hide paper is, but what exactly is it? Where can I buy some from (and I'm in the UK).

What makes it so great to work with?

saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

this one is build with elephant hide paper - its a not so thin paper wich has a "elefant-skin" structure on both sides - u can get this paper in very varrious colours

i cant tell you where to get it in the uk, but im sure others know :)
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

[img]http://wald.heim.at/wienerwald/551844/temp/nashorn.jpg[/img]

efephant hide is available in many different colour (like green, blue, red). the most noteworthily characteristic of elephant hide is that it's nearly perfect for wetfolding. it even doesn't tear, when it's completely wet. after drying, the paper stays in perfect shape.

you should check your local stores and ask for it. in germany it's not easy to get, maybe it's better in the UK?
if it's not possible to get it somewhere in England, maybe you can order it in Germany at the "Viereck-Verlag". the direct Link to the elephant hide is this one. the owner of this little origami store is very friendly and maybe you can make a deal?

greetings

Christian
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

i think they call it wyndstone paper in the states. at 110 gsm, elephant hide is kind of thick and not easy to fold complex models with but u will love the outcome if u managed to persuade the paper to cooperate ...
stuckie27

Post by stuckie27 »

wyndstone paper is manufactured by a different company that elephant hide.

Both Wyndstone and Elephant hide have been used extensively to wet fold models. If you look at some of the great wetfolds the majority have been made using this paper.

Canson Mi-teinets http://www.dickblick.com/zz107/10/produ ... &ig_id=820

Is also good for wet folding, I believe it is cheaper than elephant hide, and easier to find.
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

The larger Paperchase stores in England stock 50 x 70 cm sheets of elephant hide - I picked up several sheets from their London store when I was over there back in February.

Shops that stock Artoz papers may also carry elephant hide (though Artoz call it "Rustik" for some reason). My local Artoz stockist, Bradbury Graphics in Belfast, only carries it in A4 size, though.

You can check the Artoz website to see if they have a stockist near you:

http://www.artoz.co.uk/index2.htm
saj

Post by saj »

Thanks people,

Managed to track down a paper place in the Leicester City Centre. It does sell Artoz stuff, (i quite often buy mini cards from there) but I've never noticed that type of paper around. Maybe I'll try to get him to order some.

Elephant hide seems to be quite heavy at 110gsm, so I'm presuming it's quite thick. I better learn how to wet fold now!

saj
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

mhm.. i have to "learn" it also...
but i dont think its a hard thing.. :)

start with less water and only flatten strong creases..
saj

Post by saj »

Hello people!

I went paper shopping today, to that place I mentioned in my City Centre. I asked him weather he had any elephant hide, and he pulled out an entire range of different coloured papers! Most of them were labelled Rustik. He told me that the paper is very good for printing, and wants me to send him some folded examples.

I gave to him a few Butterflys (La Fosse), and he was very happy! I also bought some washi like paper (I'll post a pic soon) which I'll use for the Yoda. I also noticed he had some Canson paper, but that will have to wait now.

His range of 'organic' papers is amazing; he's got hand embroidered papers, very 'hairy' papers (that might pass off as thai silk), sequined papers and washi paper too. I'm just going to blow loads of money there now!

Wow thanks for all your help guys! I'll post pics of my folded models soon!
Anonymous

"elephant hide"

Post by Anonymous »

elephant hide, (in german Elefantenhaut) is a german paper.
the producer is "Zanders" in germany. its available in different weights (110g/m², 125g/m², 190g/m²)and 16 colours.
you can get it in the wholesale trade for bookbinders.

http://www.zanders.de
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

you can also use water coulour paper for wetfolding. it's also stays very good in shape, after it dried.

Christian