Brian Chan - Dobsonfly (CP Tutorial)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

Speaking of the box-pleating guide, Part 3 seems like it has been "in progress" for several years now... any word on when it will be completed?
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Wow I did it I made the dobson fly it really is an easy one to do from the cp.

Well I have made a practice one from printing out a cp on to A4 paper cutting it out and folding it. it took some time to get all the precressing done but after that it was easy.

Its not good enough to finish the legs anteni etc as the paper is not so good. But for a practice one it turned out good, now to work out how to get it down on to the tissue foil for folding for a good one. :wink:

Kind regards
Steve :D
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Well here is my finished one folded from a 20 x 20 sheet of tissue foil

He realy was an easy cp to follow thanks every one for the advice posted on here. :wink:

Can anyone suggest any other not so hard insect cps to try out there??????? That would be great as im running out of diagrams to try. :roll:

Kind regards
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

How about another of Jason Ku's models, the Rhinoceros Beetle is not his best but is simple and it is an insect as you requested.
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Even that looks hard to me! :oops: I dont get what bits im suposed to fold?

I really wanted to do this slug... http://design.origami.free.fr/Sirgo/Div ... Babosa.htm

That dont even have legs and i cant work that out. :cry: :oops: :cry: Can anyone help me on the slug im sure it cant be to complicated right?

kind regards
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

Maybe you could tryLang's Dragonfly Varileg. That one isn't too bad.
BTW, check out this thread for help.
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

If you want more boxpleated things, try Sirgo's whip spider. Its not too hard
http://design.origami.free.fr/Sirgo/Ins ... 0Sirgo.pdf
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Id love to do Sirgo's whip spider! But it looks to hard for me. :oops:
I just keep trying to fold the whole thing along every line shown and just cant colaps the bases. I cant work out what bits im supsosed to fold and what im not. :cry: :cry:

I mean looking at the cp for the whip spider I would mouintain fold on every red and vally on every black. :? But im sure thats not how you would do it?

I just dont think im any good with these cps. :cry: ive read the guides etc but still I just dont get it. If I could manage to work out how the bases were to be folded then at least id have half a chance till then im stuped. :shock:

If anyone whould like to volonteer as a cp teacher please feel free to get in touch. it would be nice to start somwere. :wink:

kind regards
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

If you thought the dobsonfly was easy, this shouldnt be too much harder. Start with a 48X48 grid, by dividing into thirds, then each of those into 16ths. Then fold the series of diagonals going horizontally across the middle, sink everything in and out, do the elias stretches on the edges, and end with the small sinks (formed like Bahamut's feet if youve made that). Then just shape! The only problem is that kami will not work. You can get the base with it, but then the leg flaps will get way too thick to shape.

I hope that helped you!
satoshifan

Re: Brian Chan - Dobsonfly (CP Tutorial)

Post by satoshifan »

I'm sort of new to this site but have been folding for about 6 months. On the dobsonfly, how many squares does the finished model have. For a first attempt, i was going to use printer paper, but I guess i'll just make some tissue foil. And finally, once the base is collapsed, how do I a(spread out/thin antennae/legs b(spread out wings/tail and c(pleat tail? Thanks in advance.
satoshifan
"You have not failed. You have simply found one thousand things that don't work. Therefore, you are one thousand things closer to finding something that will"
~Thomas Edison
Orca

Post by Orca »

I want to fold this model but can I use 10 inch Japanese foil. If not I have some 30x30 cm tissue foil. But would it be thin enough If it got to thick for Robert langs praying mantis from origami insects 2.
mixmastermarc16

Post by mixmastermarc16 »

the preying mantis is a thick model in general. very thick. the dobsonfly should fold well from the 30-30 foil you have. i wouldnt suggest the 10-10 until you have folded the model comfortably and are confident you could reproduce it 2/3 smaller. but the model is fairly simple and straightforward, so folding it small shouldnt be too great a challenge. good luck!
Altoscholto

Re:

Post by Altoscholto »

I am not sure if this thread is active at all, but I am attempting the dobsonfly base and am having trouble working out some of the steps after all the pre-creasing and initial diagonals. I realise that the post by Origami_8 with the series of picture links would have been very useful to that end, but sadly they are now inactive.

Despite this post being many years late, any chance someone can give me some hints?

Thanks
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I'm sorry, but I can not find the pictures on my computer, seems they got lost in time. But if you can upload a photo of what you have so far and say where exactly you need help, I might be able to give you some pointers.
Altoscholto

Post by Altoscholto »

That is ok. After studying an image of the completed base I found, I managed to work it out more or less. The antenna / jaw part was what was tripping me up.

The finishing up part is looking tricky with getting the antenna thin enough and the jaws thick enough, but I made this one from butchers paper as a first attempt to get the base worked out properly, so not expecting to be able to properly finish the details.
But do you have any tips regarding the jaws and antenna shaping? I plan on making a tissue foil dobsonfly in the near future (still getting my tissue foil production gear set up atm, almost there now)