Robert J. Lang - Dancing Crane

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
gugulu

Robert J. Lang - Dancing Crane

Post by gugulu »

Hi there, guys!
I'm trying to fold the Dancing crane by Robert Lang but i'm stuck on step 15. I just can't do the elias-stretching and opening out. Can you help me with video, diagram, advice or whatever?
This is it:
http://i31.tinypic.com/9hqvjr.jpg

Thank you in advance!
mike352

Post by mike352 »

I haven't folded this model, but it looks like a standard Elias stretch. You'll start by folding the valley so that the flap starts going towards the top. It won't lie flat, so you'll need to spread out the layers, starting with the mountain shown. The idea is to make sure that you form a mountain fold on the flap along the center of the model. This will be a vertical mountain, allowing you to squash the flap to the right. The paper will now lie flat as shown.

I hope my description helps ...
gugulu

Post by gugulu »

Hi again,
thanks mike352, I really appreciate your help. I could do it without asking, but I was afraid not to damage the paper, because I've never done elias-stretching before.

But I'm stuck again on step 31. It's a closed-sink. I watched a video made by Sara Adams how to do it, but I couldn't get the idea. So, help me again, if you please!

This is a picture of what I'm supposed to do:
http://i34.tinypic.com/svjrck.jpg

Thank you!
mike352

Post by mike352 »

This closed sink isn't too difficult. The layer probably opens up at the seam on top , so you'll need to hold the layers closed on top and then push the layer inside out without letting go. Does that help?
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Really, Mike?? I think that might have been one of the most difficult single steps I've ever folded.
pereze

Post by pereze »

I remember this clearly. These closed sinks are tough to nail!
mike352

Post by mike352 »

origamimasterjared wrote:Really, Mike?? I think that might have been one of the most difficult single steps I've ever folded.
Calm there - I said I haven't folded this model before. From the diagram it looked like a fairly standard closed sink - it didn't appear to have a corner at a weird angle or have a large amount of layers stacked up, but because it's hidden beneath the layers in the diagram, I couldn't see what it really was like.

I'm still surprised you claim it's one of the most difficult steps you've folded. What about closed unsinks or closed sinks at weird angles and layers? I'm curious what makes this so difficult.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

A closed sink is something like an inside reverse fold with both sides locked together. It's been a while since I folded this model, therefore I can't remember how hard this step was, but usually I love closed sinks, they are one of my favourite moves in Origami.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

I'm not getting testy, don't worry. It just surprised me that you thought it wasn't that difficult. Made me wonder whether you had ever folded it.

It's a closed sink that is really hard to maneuver. You have to deal with a lot of layers, sink in at a large angle--that sink is 67.5˚ wide. It's completely unnatural. And, to make matters worse, this is a truly closed sink. Oftentimes you can partially unfold to perform a nice neat closed sink. As I remember, this was not possible. And since all that's hold that assembly there is a simple valley fold through many layers, a third hand would come in really handy.

Open unsinks are far more difficult to do than closed ones. Closed unsinks are fun! And if you have large paper, they're not hard at all. Heck, that Fujimoto hydrangea is entirely made up of closed unsinks! Closed unsinks and closed sinks are some of my favorite standard moves. I use them whenever possible :)

The Dancing Crane closed sink, Brian Chan's Crab's closed sink (but with large paper it might be doable), some weird assembly in Marc Kirschenbaum's 1-piece chessboard--those are the most difficult folds that come to mind. I know there have been others.
gugulu

Post by gugulu »

I'm already done with this model. It was quite interesting to fold. The final result is satisfaing. It's true that my crane look like it was raped by flock of pelicans, but I like it. :)
Thank you for the help!
Whitefly

Post by Whitefly »

Stimulated from the discussion i have printed the crease pattern and with that guide tried the folding of the nice dancing crane.Image
Stucked miserably at step 31 no way to execute che closed sink series to shape the legs!
At the end of accounts could anyone show with images how to make the series of those particular closed sink?
please help!
Thanks in advance
Mario
Wizmatt

Post by Wizmatt »

The top picture you have is correct. You need to bisect that point on the left. The closed sinks are quite difficult, you close sink the farthest flap first, then the next working towards yourself.

Hope this helps.
More photos on my flickr
Vkai

Post by Vkai »

Could someone please help me with step 31??
Im trying everything ,i guess it should be a lot of inside reverse folding like but the paper gets cramped and i cant make it look like at step 32.

Edit
I did it by unfolding legs and just folding it along crease lines into what is shown on diagrams.
The hard part was where legs meets body where i had to crimple and squash it but it was just a test fold so its ok.

Would be very glad if someone could take a photo/record making of the closed sink on the legs.
micio feroce

Post by micio feroce »

I had the same problem at that step, it's a intricate step,
you have to open a little the paper, make a closed sink for time and at the base (where legs meets body) help yourself with a tip of a tweezers, or a crochet to crimple and squash it.

Hope to be a bit helpful.
May the Fold be with you !

My flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maury_origami/
Vkai

Post by Vkai »

Thanks for the advice,i will try to fold it again altho just unfolding whole leg all and folding it along creasesgave better result than i expected.