Robert J. Lang - SUV, Opus 507 (CP)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Sabine

Robert J. Lang - SUV, Opus 507 (CP)

Post by Sabine »

Hey everybody,

I'm trying to fold Lang's SUV for an university project that involves stop motion and origami. I don't have much experience with origami besides that paper crane in the header of the forum, and until yesterday I had never heard of a crease pattern. I spent all day reading up on them and doing some basic folds, and then I went to figure out Lang's car.

The crease pattern is here. After a couple of hours, I managed to figure out the basics, but I am eternally stuck on the wheels. I have no idea how they are supposed to come out of there and stick out of the basic form.

The mountain and valley folds in the wheels do not make any sense to me at all, and I just don't know which one comes first. I would really, really appreciate some help. :D

Oh, and if anybody knows of some other big, showy origami cars, feel free to point them out to me (database search wasn't very succesful).
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Hey,
It seems you've taken quite a big step from traditional crane to SUV... Anyways, I haven't folded the SUV yet but by looking at the crease pattern, I think I understand your point of view. The valley folds seem to be the blue dotted lines everywhere except on the wheels cause if it weren't, the wheels would appear inside the model. I could be wrong though. What you might want to try is to take a separate sheet of paper and fold only the wheel part on it. I also advise you to ignore the grey squares on the wheels for the time being, since they're not required to get the base. Good luck with the SUV.

As for other car models, there aren't many that comes to mind right now. I'm pretty sure there was a nice looking car model on http://origami.com, but that site appears to be down lately. You can always search here on the forum.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Andrey Ermakov's Subaru(?) car is also a good place to start. It is very 3d like Lang's cars.
PauliusOrigami
Forum Sensei

Post by PauliusOrigami »

My fold:

1. Just precrease all M V folds first of all. then try to find the best way to collapse using them.

2. If it's really hard 4 u just check up the database for a "WV Bug Car" . it even has diagrams (free-online legal).
My flickr gallery. Come to visit and leave feedback.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Are you talking about Charles Esseltine's car?
PauliusOrigami
Forum Sensei

Post by PauliusOrigami »

My flickr gallery. Come to visit and leave feedback.
Sabine

Post by Sabine »

Thanks everyone for the tips.

I'll keep trying to get it right, so far I still haven't managed it.

@legionzilla: I found the model you're talking about and it looks great - but the diagram doesn't have mountain and valley folds marked, so it's a little bit too difficult for me right now.

@PauliusOrigami: Thanks for the picture, I had actually already found your picture on flickr and used it as a reference while trying to fold. =) I did go and fold the bug last night and then did it again this morning, it helped a lot, thanks!. Looks cute, but isn't fancy enough for the project I am doing.

I'll keep trying to figure it out, I'll just ask again in here and supply pictures if I get really desperate.
Sabine

Post by Sabine »

Okay, I give up. I've spent the past three days trying to fold these wheels, and I just can't do it. I've started over countless times, tried it with just the wheel part cut out, then again with the entire car, tried folding everything in every direction and it's just not gonna happen. :cry:

The upper image is what the wheel part looks like after I've folded the base of the car. I have no idea how to continue afterwards. Am I supposed to open it up again? And if I do, I don't get how the wheels come out of the car again? The pink arrows point to the fold that marks the lower edge of the car, but if I start to fold from there, how do I get back out? Everytime I fold something and look at the backside, there's a valley or mountain fold at the back that is folded into the wrong direction. Looking at the pattern, I don't even get how the wheels are supposed to be shaped at all. Is the lower end of the wheels the end of the paper?

Can somebody please help me again? :(
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Re: Robert J. Lang - SUV, Opus 507 (CP)

Post by Mir Numaan »

guys i am not a total beginner with cps.I have solved some intermediate cps.The problem is that i am unable to find all the refrences of creases in this model :( Is this model based on a grid? What is the grid? Thanks in advance !

Regards
--mir Numaan
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Divide the left edge of the rectangle into 20ths and mark the edges of a grid from there. That should give you most of the reference points.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

same on the right?
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

yeah, but not vertically.
flickr gallery