Making Tissue Foil Paper

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

Some of those methods look great Chris. I am going to try them soon.
Personally, I now use the method shown in Phil's video.
I used to spend endless amounts of time on the cutting process, now it takes less than 5 minutes.
In fact I cut this way for all my large sheets now, not just tissue foil.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

With 45cm tissue foil you can already fold very complex models, of course it also depends on the thickness of your foil.
You can create larger pieces of tissue foil by slightly overlapping two sheets of foil.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Anine

Post by Anine »

Hej!

Gerwin=daydreamer and Anna=origami_8 told me about these videos at the Leicester convention. I just have a few questions:
1. When you cut the paper square by folding it and then cutting, don't you get unnecessary folds in the finished model?
2. What is the cloth you use, made of? I suppose you use it to remove wrinkles in the paper?
That's all I can remember right now..
Regards,
Anine
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Hi Anine :-)

Ad 1.) The folds you are making will be the diagonals of the square and since you will need them for most of the models that shouldn't be a problem.

Ad 2.) You can use the sort of paper you get for the kitchen in form of rolls (not sure about the English name for it), but any kind of soft cloth/paper will work. And yes it is for removing the wrinkles.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Anine

Post by Anine »

And now I remember my 3rd question:
Where do you get the cardboard rolls from that you roll the tissuepaper on before applying it to the foil?
Thanks for the answers Gerwin.
Have a nice easter!
Anine
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Wrapping paper is often sold with this rolls to prevent it from getting smashed and on some places (but not in Austria as far as I know) you can also get tissue paper with these rolls underneath.
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

My lines are usually side to side instead of diagonal but if you don't want them it is possible to rub them out almost completely depending on what your making.

Instead of cloth I like to use something with a smooth surface like magazine paper, money also works good if it is fresh.

I dont like to use cardboard rolls because it has lines on it and can collapse easily. I improvise with any hard smooth type of tubing I can find. For the last few months I have been using a tube for holding maps. but a broom stick handle works really good if you cut it short enough.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

I used to make tissue foil with the tube method, until I found out about Gilad Naor's (http://www.origamitips.com, down at the moment) method - instead of rolling the tissue around a tube, just wrap and stretch the tissue around a hard flat object like a cutting mat, then plonk it down on the foil after spraying the foil with glue. It's a lot faster than rolling up the tissue, and because you can stretch the tissue along both directions, you'll be able to remove all the wrinkles before sticking the tissue on. 99% of the time, you'll end up with wrinkle-free foil using this method.
Anine

Post by Anine »

Last year I looked for methylcellulose powder, but it was nowhere to be found, so I tried wallpaper "glue"-powder instead as I was told that it contains methylcellulose. I haven't used the "glue"-powder I bought yet, so I wanted to hear if you know if I can use it for making tissuefoil and/or to put on paper to wetfold it? I bought it in Germany, and I don't think I can translate it, so I guess it's up to Gerwin, Anna and the other German speakers in here. I told the people in the store what I needed it for, and that it was mostly because of the methylcellulose, so he told me to buy the following product. On the package it says:
BAHR meisterklasse - Spezial Kleister - für vlies-, präge- und struktur-tapeten. Mit hochwertiger methylcellulose und kunstharz, universelle klebkraft, gut korrigerbar.
Can I use this kind? Or did I waste my money? ;)
Have a nice day!
Anine
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Google has an online translator.

In any case, it's a mix of methylcellulose and resin. The resin could be a problem if you want to use it for wetfolding, depending on its subsequent solubility in water.

Methylcellulose will not stick tissue to foil - it works by binding cellulose fibers together, and in foil, there's no fibres, and it will not adhere to metal. The resin might hold the tissue and foil together though.

So my guess is that it'll work for making tissue foil, but it's doubtful if it can be used for wetfolding. An evening's experiment would determine this for sure.
nat

Post by nat »

I've been trying to find an 18'' aluminum foil everywhere, but there seem to be none that is NOT "heavy duty". Most 12'' ones are thin and can be found anywhere, but as soon as the size get bigger, they all become heavy duty. ANyone from american can tell me where they buy their large foils? Or what brand? cause Reynolds totally doesnt work, nor does those ones made by the supermarkets themselves (like Tops).
phil

Post by phil »

I got my 18 inch foil at the dollar store. I bought the generic brand, I think it was called American Value brand. It says it's Heavy Duty but it is thinner than the name brand regular foil.
polop

Post by polop »

In England it is posible to get 60 cm fiol. 8)
It says it is Turkey fiol and is much easyer to get around christmas...Maybe even thanks giveing in america. This type of foil is perfect for making super complex models on a large scale.
himanshu

foil in microns

Post by himanshu »

Hi,

I was looking for wide foils (more than 2 feet) in the market and came across a manufacturer who makes aluminium sheets for industrial use.

He has such a huge range of foils that I got totally confused. Can anyone guide me about the thickness (in microns) of foil that should be used to make tissue foil?

Thank you.

Himanshu.
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Is there a link to the supplier?