Robert J. Lang - Praying Mantis

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Tang-nga Pinoy

Robert J. Lang - Praying Mantis

Post by Tang-nga Pinoy »

the link is http://origamania.free.fr/Diagramme/PrayingMantis.pdf
i kno that there has been a cuple posts of this 1, but im stressingly stuck on step 8 - 9+. im sure that the diagram is wrong because wen i open sink on step 8, step 9 shows sumthing almost different. it shows that there is a folded part inside the sink, and a flap behind it (the shaded bit, between the sink and the back of the paper), however i find it physically impossible to get those parts and that shaded bit looks as if it came from nowhere. i dont kno wot i am doing wrong. has any1 else come across this problem and mind telling me how to do it.
Thx
Robzsz
origami is a metaphor of life. the creases, the problems, the struggles, the mistakes that stay with you and the goal you have achieved...
thut

Post by thut »

the diagram is correct, step 8 is a simple open sink, mabey you went wrong before step 8
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Please don´t open up new threads if there are allready existing ones to the same theme, like this one: http://snkhan.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=78
If you don´t know if there are previous conversations use the Search-function to find out.
Tang-nga Pinoy

still stuck...

Post by Tang-nga Pinoy »

im still strugling to get this right...i did the open sink, and this is wot i come out with http://www.freewebs.com/stupidpinoy/Origami.jpg is it meant to look like dat??? the shape looks correct but the flaps that i mentioned are not there. does ne1 know wot i hav done wrong?
origami is a metaphor of life. the creases, the problems, the struggles, the mistakes that stay with you and the goal you have achieved...
EuanBingham

Post by EuanBingham »

Can you take a picture of each step up to that point?

Euan
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Maybe you did somthing like a closed sink? If you sank on the existing creases then you should end up with what the diagram shows.
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
Tang-nga Pinoy

Step by Step

Post by Tang-nga Pinoy »

Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

You did a closed sink instead of an open sink in step 8. The sink should look like this:
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Tang-nga Pinoy

Post by Tang-nga Pinoy »

omg wow i did it haha lol!!! i finnaly did it...after my paper was tired n ripped apart to shreds =P thx a lot every1 who helped and to Daydreamer for supplying the pic =D :D
Tang-nga Pinoy

Post by Tang-nga Pinoy »

oh man...i feel embaressed cos im stuck again hehe...step 17...wot do i unwrap?
i hope dat im not annoyin ppl bout helpin me n im really sorry but greatly appreciate the help
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

It's kind of hard to explain, but you are unwraping a single layer from behind ( It is better if you partialy unfold the model). If you look at the base of the triangle (first there is the petal fold, then go in to where the petal fold connects with teh rest of the model) there is a single layer of paper there and you want to unwrap it all bring it in front.

Hope fully you can understand this, if you can't maybe some one can take pictures for you. My cammera is not working right now.
Flickr Photos
Tang-nga Pinoy

Post by Tang-nga Pinoy »

i think i kno wot layer u are talkin about...but i still dont see where its meant to go. yea a photo wud help from any1 plz. r u meant to unfold sumthing in particular or kinda turn da layer inside out??? im doin summit to it but looks nothing at all like in da diagram...
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

You need to turn that white layer inside out, so you make a triangle which is going to be squashed into a preliminary fold.
Flickr Photos
Tang-nga Pinoy

Post by Tang-nga Pinoy »

oh man i think i did it! sorta accidently lol. but yea thx a lot again =) dont b surprised tho if im stuck again hehe... n ill post wen ive finaly finished it. thx again =)
Tang-nga Pinoy

Post by Tang-nga Pinoy »

hey..uhh..guess who :oops: im up to Step 35...n stuck on it... but i feel liek ive done sumthing wrong, even tho it looks correct...? is da paper meant to be quite thick at this point???
neways, Step 35...i think i kno wot it means by wrapping 1 layer to the front but i cant seem to do it cos the paper looks like its pretty much all joined together...n i cant seem to do nething much else to it without the paper ripping (the amount of pre-folded back-ups i have made...!!!)
is it a simple fold or more complicated than it seems?

i have a feeling im gonna b stuck on da nxt few steps straight away after i get this step done.
Robz