Robert J. Lang - Samurai Helmet Beetle

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Thelemic Potter

Robert J. Lang - Samurai Helmet Beetle

Post by Thelemic Potter »

I just completed my second one, and both times step 77 got me the results I needed and 78,79 don't seem necessary. Is there any good reason to bother with them? Also kind of curiose how you exactly get the structer shown in 77 as I've just been messily poking stuff to invert it.

I have to say this is the best model I've ever done. The scale is fantastic and outside of 70-80, there aren't any really hard techniques and it's really only the size of the tip splitting that gets in the way. This is some choice paper insect, it really is worth the effort.

Has anyone had any luck splitting the ends of the legs? I think it's appropriate to the species. I have some ideas to try on my next one, but wouldn't mind a point in the right direction.
Love.
Potter.
Love is the Law, love under will.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Where are the diagrams?
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The Origamidatabase knows it, so just make a little search there. You should get three results if you write everything correctly.
kaerusan

Post by kaerusan »

but the samurai helmet beetle that Thelemic Potter's talking is the one in origami insects and their kin...
Innotech

Post by Innotech »

Actually, I just registered to ask about htis exact same step. I have always poked the paper into the model to separate the thorax and abdomen part htere but never understood from the diagram how the pleated part becomes what you see inside the model. I think that part is poorly diagrammed, though I have folded that model many times successfully despite this. Can anyone show exactly how this step is supposed to look starting from opening the pleats?
Thelemic Potter

Post by Thelemic Potter »

I recently played with this on a much larger scale and found that if you practice it a few times on a sheet over 2feet, you can get the hang of it. Large paper also helps int the head formation of the cicada of this book.

You can fake the indents, it is a hella difficult step in small size, but it does make for a bit neater of a finish.

I found a few drops of glue at the end of the first part saves much wear and tare on the penestrum.
Love.
Potter.
Love is the Law, love under will.
cybard

Post by cybard »

Hi. Well, i'm stuck on the step 72 of the beetle in Origami Inscts and their kin. This step is abour collapsing the body and it's difficult for me to find the reference lines. Could any of you help me to manage this step. thanks a lot.
Fold the world !
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

So yeah...when I poke those points inside in step 76, I dont get a structure that looks like step 77, which kind of makes steps 78 and 79 difficult. Does anyone have any good insight here?
HS1

Re: Robert J. Lang - Samurai Helmet Beetle

Post by HS1 »

Also, I have trouble when trying to collapse the body in steps 70-72 could someone post pictures or explain where to find the reference points?
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Re: Robert J. Lang - Samurai Helmet Beetle

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

Those reference points are kind of tricky...and not exact.