Help with Robert Lang Butterfly

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Nyman

Help with Robert Lang Butterfly

Post by Nyman »

hello can you help with the step 28 of Origami insects of robert lang, please

:cry:
Chimbote - Peru
thut

Post by thut »

this is a very hard step, but the only explination i can give is the one already in the book
kaerusan

Post by kaerusan »

try to open at maximum the layer where you have to make the 2 reverse-folds(or the open sink in and out...)
adamdust

Post by adamdust »

i aslo got stuck on this, and in fact achieved two different results and decided to sit on it, er, slang for 'think about it' - i didn't really sit on it :lol:
Adam Dust
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

This actually would be an easy open sink in and out (like the ones you see often in box-pleated designs). The problem is that it's very hard to actually open the model to perform this step and it's very tempting to make a closed sink instead which would lead to problems in the further folding process.
It's possible to open the model but you have to be very careful not to tear the paper.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
T

Post by T »

I managed this model a few weeks back, this step is hard the trick is to "force" the paper open without ripping it so that you can get ur fingers inside to do the sink. Also make te precreasing very sharp... Also if you use paper that not very thin this model can become umanagable
Rick2478

Post by Rick2478 »

Open out the whole thing, locate the section, and box pleat it, then close it back up. This is just what I did, and it worked. It's probably not the best approach, but it works. Getting pretty repetitive, eh? :D
Thelemic Potter

something to watch for...

Post by Thelemic Potter »

you will notice the subsequent steps (33-36)to release the workable layer. Do make sure you are working with a free layer or you'll have nothing but heartache. Personally I found step 30 & 31 far harder then 28, there's more chance of rippage here. Once you get these folds done, it's alot less daunting then Lang makes it out. Doesn't mean it isn't a seriouse challenge not to rip, but the folds ain't that bad once you see them.
Love.
Potter.
Love is the Law, love under will.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

At least you got to repeat those steps a few times, so in the end you get the hang of it... (isn't that really nice of Lang? :roll: )
Gerwin
phil

Post by phil »

Daydreamer wrote:At least you got to repeat those steps a few times, so in the end you get the hang of it... (isn't that really nice of Lang? :roll: )
Yeah then after you get the hang of it he challenges you to try step 28 agian dividing each side into fifths instead of thirds. :twisted:
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Oh yes, I read that.... and decided to ignore it :)
Gerwin
Anaiwa

Post by Anaiwa »

hi it's my first time here :).

i have a big problem after step 29. what is the best trick to get the picture 31 and then 32? i tried a lots but my butterfly is a buttermud.