Crease Patterns

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
gilad_zn

Crease Patterns

Post by gilad_zn »

Hello everyone.

Folding models from crease-patterns has long been an unachivable dream to me. Several weeks ago I first managed to fold a complex model from a CP, and have folded several more since.

Even though I am in no way an expert, I have decided to write my experiences with CP as I go along, because there are very few documents about this anywhere.

I am very interested to receive your input on this document. It is only a first draft, and I will update it as I improve and get input from you (credits will be given, ofcourse). I'd like to hear if you've read the document and have suggestions, found typos, have more tips, or anything else.

The file is in the Tips/General section.
Cheers!
Gilad Naor
https://blog.giladnaor.com
origamicp

RE: Cpats

Post by origamicp »

Maybe you could provide a link to my site in your document also, for more information..
gilad_zn

Post by gilad_zn »

Hello Ben Ball!

There already is! It's under "references". Your site is the ONLY site dealing with CPs, and there was never the slightest chance I would leave it out. It was your excellent tutorials that helped me get started.

I'm glad you're back into Origami and updating your page!

p.s. If you don't already know, Jason Ku has updated his page and now has lots of CP for his models:
http://www.bluegoo.net/~jason/
Cheers!
Gilad Naor
https://blog.giladnaor.com
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Another useful thing would be a list of CPs available on the web, ranked according to difficulty level. Such a list would be helpful to newbies (like me) who are trying to fold from CPs for the first time, and don't know where to start.
origamicp

A list of online cpats

Post by origamicp »

That's a very good idea. I should try and put a list together like that somehow. I have folded many of the cpats I found online, but many I would have to guess as to how hard they are. Another thing to consider is how hard it is to turn the base into the finished model, with many the shaping is obvious, with others the shaping is very difficult. Hmm, perhaps different measures of difficulty, like
1) precreasing
2) collapsing
3) shaping
and maybe some others. Theres so much I need to do to my website.
-Ben
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

For beginners, precreasing and collapsing are probably more of an issue than shaping (which is probably just a matter of taste anyway). Rating a model based on precreasing would be straightforward - an easy model would be one where the main construction lines and angles are "standard ones" like 1/2, 1/4 (for lines), 90/45/22.5 (for angles).
Collapsing would be harder to rate. A flat foldable model is usually easier to achieve than a 3-d one, but of course there are plenty of exceptions...
Frydrych

Post by Frydrych »

Hi!

Today I have been folding from cp for the first time in my life. I've chosen Nicolas Terry's dragonfly for the beginning as it looked rather simple. And it went smooth indeed. I think of his rhino to be next.

Well, I dream of folding Kamiya's dragonfly some day. Have you guys got a cp for this model, as i suppose that diagram is not available yet?
swollix

Post by swollix »

Yep.I need to learn crease patterns too.One day I hope to fold all of Kamiyas CPs on his site and jason Ku's Balrog.
OrigamiMagiro
Forum Sensei

Dragonfly

Post by OrigamiMagiro »

I have folded Satoshi's Dragonfly. It is ingenius, the way he off set the model to provide for the tail texture and how he utilized 3:4:5 right triangles. The cp is fairly straight forward box-pleating; the only really hard part is sitting there and pre-creasing 48ths. I really love that model because the legs come from the edge and thus can be made quite thin, while still being efficient enough with the paper.
saj

Post by saj »

Hmm, I had a go at the dragonfly cp, but it did not seen to go that well :-( .

How do you guys start off doing a cp? Do you print the pattern off and then fold it or do you start from scratch, refering to the cp on the screen?

<i>Posted from a mobile</i>
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
OrigamiMagiro
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiMagiro »

First, when I am trying to decipher someone else's cp, I try to locate all landmarks that might be useful. In many of Satoshi's models, there is a geometric symmetry involved and with a little trig, one can usually find the reference points with Reference Finder.

Second, I fold all of the main creases... These are different for every model, but if you see a place that looks sunk in and out, try and do that later in the process. In most cps, if you precrease all folds, mountainfolding on the outer most creases (color side up) and alternate the gender of the creases going in, it usually collapses quite nicely.

Third. Now we should have a base. At this point, if you don't already know what appendages come from where, you should identify them. This should not be too hard.

Fourth, I look at the picture of the finished model. Shape to taste and you're done! :)
artur biernacki
Forum Sensei

Post by artur biernacki »

I folded Dragonfly of Kamiya Satoshi
artur-biernacki@wp.pl
Friet

Post by Friet »

I was just thinking about starting with CP's as well. There are sooo many CP's on the web I would love to fold!
Nesting Crane

Post by Nesting Crane »

gilad_zn,

Thanks for starting this topic. I was about to start one myself ask what this crease concept was all about. I can't wait to read the tutorial. :D
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I just wanted to say that Ben's tutorial is terrific! Sometimes you just need a first step to get started and then experience after that helps get into it. Thanks to working through his examples I was able to do a cp of a winged lion from an issue of joas. :)