Origami skill exchange

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
NumboJumbo

Origami skill exchange

Post by NumboJumbo »

Hi
This is just an idea to see whether there is a call or a need for an exchange of skills concerning the creating of and diagramming up of models. There must be people out there who have created/doodled up some models but lack the resources to diagram them up. Conversely, there must be people out there who can reverse fold a model and then be able to diagram it up.

Maybe an exchange of skills could occur here, between those who’ve created a model and those who can diagram it up.

To this effect, I have created two possible outlets where such an exchange could be facilitated.

1) A page on my website where I would be the conduit of an exchange http://www.geocities.com/mikebr2003/dia ... munity.htm

2) A Yahoo group where you, the people would be in charge of your own exchange, with me just keeping a watchful eye on the proceedings http://groups.yahoo.com/group/origami_exchange/

Once, you have had a read of the above links, I would be interested to know whether there is a call for this type of thing out there and if there is, in what format people would prefer to conduct this exchange. All criticisms and comments welcome.

Mike
PLP

Post by PLP »

Hey, realy a good idea, in my opinion!!!

PLP
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

mmmm..
In my opinion, there probably are not a lot of diagramers out there who want to spend hours diagraming other's models. Most people don't diagram because of a lack of time. Of course, I may be wrong.
My 25 cents....as opposed to 2
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

I my opinion, it is a great idea. Many people (at least one -- me) do not want create models from some reasons but would like to fold and diagram models of other creators. Reverse folding and making diagram is at least the same exciting process as making model, I think even more -- if you do not remember correctly the way, whole model should be lost! Great idea and I would like to contribute to section of reverse folders.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

To post the email adress of the participants right under the picture is a very bad idea, it will lead to a lot of spam-mails. A better way for example would be to make some sort of private guestbook (only visible to you) where someone can leave his/her email adress for responce.
NumboJumbo

Post by NumboJumbo »

Thanks for all your replys - I hope I receive some more.

It seems that, so far, that there might be a modicum of interest in the idea, which for me is quite encouraging. It also seems to me that the comments that are coming back are focussing on the page within my website rather than the Yahoo group. Is this the preferrred route for this idea?

To address some of the comments raised.

PLP: Thanks for your encouragement.

Aznman: I agree. Why should you spend time diagramming other people's models. However, I find my life increasingly moving from the Me, Me, Me line of thought to the Help, Help, Help line of thought. This idea will appeal to those people who have that line of thought and are willing to diagram up a model for the greater good of origami rather than their egos. Some people do have spare time and it may just be that this idea is appealing enough to them to put that spare time to some useful purpose

Ondrej.Cibulka: Marvellous. You are just the person my idea is geared up to. Depending on which route I take ie. my website or the Yahoo group one, I believe there is now a necessity for a section listing those people who are willing to donate their time in diagramming up someone else's model. This, I envisage will hopefully encourage other people to display their models in the hope that somebody from the list will offer to help them out. I have updated my site and the Yahoo Group to reflect this.

origami_8: I agree about the spamming. Because this is only a test at the moment, it was never going to be my intention to display other people's email addresses where a spammer could get hold of it. The email, I envisage, will still be displayed, but probably as an unhyperlinked link or as an image. This will make it more difficult for spammers to retrieve email addys. I have updated my site to reflect this.

Anymore comments about my idea will be gratefully received.

Mike
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

I totally agree with you. I was just speaking in the genral terms. Kinda basing my post on information I have picked up...
I am more than willing to help somone who needs help folding a model, and have done so, trying myself to move away from the "me me me" mentality.
but I guess diagraming takes soooomuch longer....I also am no good at it :P so I would not be much help. The only diagrams I have ever made were hand drawn.

I do think this exchange is a good idea though!
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos