Robert J. Lang - Songbird 1

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
earth

Robert J. Lang - Songbird 1

Post by earth »

Hi, I'm having trouble with step 13 of Robert Lang's Songbird 1 in Origami Design Secrets that i got hold of recently. I'm not good at interpreting textual instructions so if anyone could, I wouldn't mind any picture or video help. But any help would also be appreciated.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I can't give you picture instructions because I don't have my camera at the moment, but I'll try to give some text instructions that you can understand :D ...

On step 13, if you open up the front, you will find that theres a little bit of paper stuck under the layers. That is really all the help I can give you, bbecause I don't really understand what you're having trouble with.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
earth

Post by earth »

I'm sorry that i didn't specify what my problem was ](*,) so i took some shots of how i did the step and collated them in a picture

[img]http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6507/songbird1pt7.jpg[/img]

problem is, after i've released the excess, there is not more paper behind that can be seen like on the right. i hope you understand better now.
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

Hi earth,

Happy New Year!

If #1 of your image is already step 12, then you've got it wrong.
If you look at step 12 in the book, you should see that the top most flap should be connected. In your picture, they are apart. I think you got the model upside down.

When you made the bird base in Step 9, you may have applied the petal fold on the wrong flaps of the preliminary base. If you did Step 9 correctly, you should have gotten something like this:

Then when you do Step 10, if you get something like this...
...then you're on the right track.

Try retracing your progress to Step 9.

Good luck!

Eric
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Indeed, it seems you weren't looking at the right place :)
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
earth

Post by earth »

Indeed Eric, i did step 8 wrongly ](*,), thanks for pointing that out to me :D I will post some pictures of the completed model when i finish. Thanks again!

edit: darn, now i'm stuck at step 20 and 21 about "wrapping" the layers. Yes, i've done the previous steps right this time :lol: I just find the instruction vague at these 2 steps.
eric_son

Post by eric_son »

earth wrote:edit: darn, now i'm stuck at step 20 and 21 about "wrapping" the layers. Yes, i've done the previous steps right this time :lol: I just find the instruction vague at these 2 steps.
Hope this helps :D :

To avoid accidentally ripping the paper, you may want to slightly unfold the area affected by the wrapping fold.

Cheers!

Eric
earth

Post by earth »

I really want to thank you for helping me out. I looked at your photos and tried to follow, however the first few tries got me nowhere. I felt like giving up but since you've spent time helping me i thought that i shouldn't. After a few more "tries" playing around with the paper, I got it to look like step 24. But I'm uncertain if what I've done is correct. But I'll let you know. :D Happy New Year to you too.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Hmm, there is a way that I found one day where it looks right, but it isn't. I don't really know if you did that or not. But try it again, and try unfolding the paper a little bit while you're trying to get it, like eric said. :D Happy new year
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
p@

req songbird

Post by p@ »

Hi,I have a problem,I don`t understand steps 39,40 ,please help me.
best regards paolo
fleurdelis

Post by fleurdelis »

Deleted by moderator.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
fleurdelis

Post by fleurdelis »

Sorry for my mistake. I am new and I will read the rules so not to post such reply again!
jimhorng

Stuck on 21, 32

Post by jimhorng »

Opening up this old thread.
I'm really new to origami but I kinda love it.
For this model, I m currently stuck on 21, 32, 39

- to wrap twice(20+21) means stays the same?
- I cannot produce exactly the same result as 22 show. mine is like 2 layers as red line showed in following, instead of 1 layer

* 32. (Seems passed, although skipped 20,21)
- it said "release and pulled up the trapped corner", it seems to skip lots of "tiny steps", anyone can break down for me?
- Since 22 cannot produce, skip 20,21 temporarily by just unfold the white part as following

If I pull out a double layer, there will be no background layer as shown on 40. or there's some steps missing while I skipped 21,22?

- 20's left wing is on top of body layer but the right one is in opposite case. While following instruction I get the shape like right wing. Not sure if it's working as design or some mistake on diagram

Thanks much if anyone can help!
any text description/image/instruction video will be highly appreciated !
jojotoar

Post by jojotoar »

Can someone help me on step 20-23?
Thanks.