Discussion - Monthly folding thread

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Fishgoth

Discussion - Monthly folding thread

Post by Fishgoth »

See

viewtopic.php?p=20591#20591

If you have any ideas, discussions or objections, please post them below!
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
Watusa

Post by Watusa »

woah! fishgoth! i used to fold your models all the time, when i was but a small origamiling. :) i especially liked the rabbit and rhino :D

unfortunately i am not an origami designer. but this contest looks really interesting, i'll be sure to keep an eye on it :)
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

I like competitions.

At the moment I have one suggestion:

If you're going to allow multi-piece origami, the squares-only rule is moot. Please allow rectangles, or limit it to only one-square.

I'll write if I have more.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I think that if the units of a multi piece model can only be squares, then there should not be the option of multi piece. Folding it out of only one square, nothing else, would maybe even make the challenge even more challenging! :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Thank you! This is an excellent idea, especially for those of us (like me) who are rather reluctant designers and rarely finish a piece. Contests also provide some healthy competition that keeps people intrested, both in the art of origami and in the forum.

I think rectangles are fine, it still allows a person to excercise creativity without going too far out of the strict rules of purism. From my point of view, the use of rectangles is just a prefrence that some designers have, just as some designers prefer foil and some prefer elephant hide.

I hope that helps, and that I'm not just stating the obvious. :-)
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Rather than trying to converge on some generic set of purist rules, I'd rather see different sets of rules for different (subsequent) contests. General broad rules would encourage people to work in their own comfort zones, but having some restrictive rules would force them to try something different from what they usually do.

And often, it's more exciting to see creative solutions under restrictive conditions, rather than something mundanely impressive done with fewer restrictions.
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Your idea, Mr. O'Hanlon, is very fine, I like it!
I have one suggestion too. Restriction of computer editing of pictures is bad. Then it is competition of digital cameras and photographers, not folders.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

The rules are for March 2007 only. Some months may allow kirigami and paint, other months might be pureland folding only. I set fairly generic rules to make the first challenge straightforward. Expect restrictions in future months - models folded with knife and fork, anyone? :twisted:

I would be grateful if one of the mods could sticky the challenge thread until the end of March.

Re the photo manipulation rule - I'm not against cropping the photo, or altering darkness, etc. What I would object to is someone deliberately touching up the model, so that the photo is not a true representation of what they have folded.

I've also thought of a possible prize - the winner gets to select a future challenege...
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Fishgoth wrote: Re the photo manipulation rule - I'm not against cropping the photo, or altering darkness, etc.
OK, now it is clear - alterning of darkness is possible, it is important for inside photographing. :wink:
Fishgoth wrote: I've also thought of a possible prize - the winner gets to select a future challenege...
If I understand correctly, it is great first prize! And second and third should be jury?
Last edited by Ondrej.Cibulka on February 27th, 2007, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Yes, if the winner selected the next challenge, then they could also be the judge for the next challenge. That way the judges and challenge ideas change frequently, and then no one can win twice in a row! Sounds like a good idea.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Superb work on the entreis so far!

Some of these links may help, if people want subjects to look at:

http://www.bartleby.com/107/illus190.html
http://www.bartleby.com/107/illus188.html
http://www.bartleby.com/107/illus164.html
http://www.bartleby.com/107/indextn4.html

Figures from the 20th Edition of Gray's anatomy* osteology section, showing the skull and thumbnails of the individual bones.

*The textbook, not the lame, badly-acted and unrealistic TV soap-opera.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I'm going to get designing soon, but I've been busy folding other things lately. Maybe on the weekend! :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
earth

Post by earth »

Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way. But I would rather have a competition on designing your own models than to fold someone else's model. Some unfortunate folks do not have the access to wonderful diagrams in books and I feel that this is a disadvantage to them. In fact, its more interesting to compare models that we ourselves designed. I know its hard to come up with a model but it would be more interesting this way. Just my thoughts :wink:
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

I don't think that'll be a problem. You could have two winners: best original design, and best execution.
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

would it be o.k. to change an existing model - f.i. a mask - to a skull? the original or inspiration could be posted for comparison.