Robert J. Lang - Locust, opus 430

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Karn

Robert J. Lang - Locust, opus 430

Post by Karn »

Greetings everyone,

I'm very new to this forum and origami in general. I'm really enjoying folding models and find it quite relaxing. I thought I would try folding a harder model but have already run into a problem and thought maybe I'd be able to find some help for it on this board.

The problem concerns a diagram done by Robert Lang in Tanteidan Convention book 11. Locust, opus 430 to be exact. It concerns steps 12 and 13 to be precise. I'm just not understanding what I need to do. I think I grasp the concept of unsinking a flap but I'm just not able to execute it. The first hiccup came so soon that it seems like a big let down to give up so early. Hoping somebody here can shed some light on my problem.

Thank you.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

maybe you should start with some easier models, because the shown unsink is a very common unsink.
which models did you manage to fold so far?
how are your experiences?

oh, and welcome to the forum :)
Karn

Post by Karn »

Hi Christian. Thanks for the reply and warm welcome. I've mainly been concentrating on folding a lot of different flowers and leaves. Transforming them into beautiful bouquets. I have folded other things as well though. Joisel's rat was maybe the hardest I've done so far. There was one difficult part that I agonized over but was able to reference threads on this message board to make up for my lack of skill. I also folded a wonderful dragon that was very satisfying because I was able to work out the tougher parts on my own.

I have also considered that the Locust is just too far beyond my skill level but I don't want to give up just yet. If this technique is as common as you say in the harder models I really want to give it my best effort in understanding how to do it. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Joisel's rat to Lang's Locust? I'm sorry if you're offended by this, but I'd say that you will need a bit more practice before you try the locust.

Anyway, I'll help as much as I can-
Try unfolding that part, and then folding it a bit like a bird base. It's usually best to unfold to do this, don't just try pulling it out.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Karn

Post by Karn »

Oh I'm certainly not offended by your honesty. Like I mentioned in my original post, I'm very new to Origami and really have no way of distinguishing between the difficulty of different models. I'm willing to accept the fact I need to practice more but I'll keep trying the harder models. Only costs a piece of paper :lol:

Going to give your advice a try. I had been trying to pull out the paper so hopefully I'll have some more luck with unfolding it.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I've done a quick video help for those two steps.
step 12: http://freenet-homepage.de/origamichris ... /first.avi
step 13: http://freenet-homepage.de/origamichris ... second.avi

hope that helps.... it's hard to fold and keep the model in sight of the camera :)

I have also moved this question into the diagrams-section.
Karn

Post by Karn »

Wow those videos are above and beyond anything that had expected. Thank you so much for helping me out Christian.

It looks like, after watching your videos, that I was able to reach step 12 numerous times but it just didn't look right. I had completely unfolded my model and was just fiddling with it. It just seemed impossible for me to visualize how I was going to get any further with it ;-)

Thank you again for your help.
Rdude

Post by Rdude »

Welcome to the forum Karn :D

I joined this forum when I was just really starting to get into origami and I have learned quite a bit. I hope you will find it as usefull as I have

Rdude
If you can't fold it, try a bazooka.
My Flickr ->
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdudevr55/
Karn

Post by Karn »

Thanks for the warm welcome Rdude. I'm loving this forum so far. I think I could literally spend hours browsing through the threads admiring all the beautiful pieces of art posted on them. There's a lot of very talented people here.

Sadly I'm running into more problems making my locust so hopefully someone can impart a little more knowledge on me. I'm up to step 47 and running into minor problems. I think I fully understand what needs to be done but the problem lies in the execution of the sinks. Do you completely unfold the flap and try to put it back together while making the sinks or just unfold it a tiny fraction so it keeps the same shape? Each time I've made it too this point I've run in to tearing problems while trying to make the sinks and the model becomes unworkable. My technique was to completely unfold the flap and try to put it back together.

On a positive note, I must say I've become very proficient at the unsink referenced in my original post. I've done it many times while working on the model and seems like 2nd nature now ;-) Thank you again Christian!!
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

It's an open sink, so what you want to do is open that whole part up
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Karn

Post by Karn »

Cupcake wrote:It's an open sink, so what you want to do is open that whole part up
I was just reading your blog and noticed you said you live in eastern Canada. What part exactly? I'm in N.B. myself, Moncton to be exact.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Your almost at Nova Scotia! Thats where I am, NS. Still trying to find folders from around here.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Hooray! There's someone else from Canada. I'm from Quebec by the way. As for your locust Karn, would you mind posting a picture once you've finished it? I'd love to see it.
Karn

Post by Karn »

Salut Sunburst ;-)

I've had to take a bit of a break from trying to complete the Locust but hopefully one day (not too far in the distant future) I'll be able to post a picture of the completed model. The pleating of the model on one side has really frustrated me. It's probably due to a few different reasons , namely my skill level, but frustrating none the less. I'm just the kind of pig headed person that hates to give up without a good fight though so I decided to put it down for a couple days.

When I initially looked at the diagram it didn't appear to be that daunting of a task. That's what I get for just taking a cursory glance at them. A mistake I hope not to repeat too often ;-) Maybe somebody reading this can offer up a few easier models that use the same technique and could be used as practice models for learning this skill?
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Box-pleating diagrams? Simple ones are hard to find, it's easier to just eventually learn the CPs
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs