Hardest crease pattern

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
dogs rock012

Hardest crease pattern

Post by dogs rock012 »

Hey everyone! What do you think the hardest crease pattern there is? Tell the name of the model and if you can, a picture of it.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Ryujin:
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
anermak
Buddha

Post by anermak »

Last edited by anermak on September 8th, 2009, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogs rock012

Post by dogs rock012 »

hmm they both look very hard but the bug is box-pleated right? because pleating isn't that hard. But the other one has like 1000 scales but I'm not sure if those are box pleated or not
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Yeah, its boxpleating for the ryujin, too. But the scales part isn't boxpleated, as you can tell
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
dogs rock012

Post by dogs rock012 »

i thought the scales where the box-pleated part for the ryujin. but if it's not boxpleated it's still doing the same thing over and over for each scale, right? So you would just have to know how to make one scale and how to do the head and arms. It's very hard deciding what one is harder.
Last edited by dogs rock012 on July 21st, 2007, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Well lets see... the ryujin CP is very asymmetrical, while that CP is symmetrical. That CP is from a 56x56 grid, with a bit of 112 in there, and the Ryujin is from an 80x80grid. I really can't decide.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
dogs rock012

Post by dogs rock012 »

hey i was searching the web for a harder cp and i found this pegasus. I didnt bring this picture as hardest cp in fact the crease pattern is imposibly easy. I think the web site got the cp mixed up. What do you think?

picture is here: http://design.origami.free.fr/bestof/go ... s1_max.jpg

cp here: http://design.origami.free.fr/bestof/go ... cp_max.jpg

That cp is messed up....too easy
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Nope, that CP looks like it would work.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

I think the Ryu-Jin is probably the hardest to an extent. With the scales and all. They're formed with cross-pleats like Lang's Koi I believe, while the body is box pleated.

The insect is interesting. The symetrical CP makes it easier, but it has a graft like Koh's Ankylosaur, which can be tedious as well.
dogs rock012

Post by dogs rock012 »

well the ryujin scales cant be that hard because your just repeating the same thing over and over and over
Last edited by dogs rock012 on July 16th, 2007, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

The published Ryu-Zin (Version 2) is just simple 80x80 box pleating, for the most part. The scales are a very small part of the CP. Looking at the CP is seems really simple, but really really thick, so you need a large thin paper that can hold a crease well.

For something much harder to fold from a CP, I would think something like Hideo Komatsu's Hippo, a plethora of Robert Lang's work, such as his Maine Lobster, anything by Noboru Miyajima or Issei Yoshino, Jason Ku's work, and yeah, let's add on some of Naoto Horiguchi's stuff, and Ryo Kamiya's Housemaid.

Each of these has things that make it far more difficult to get the completed figure than Kamiya's Ryu-Zin CP.

First off, I refuse to print out the CP. This means that I have to deal with locating all the creases. In the diagrams, Hideo Komatsu uses 65 steps to find most of the reference creases for his Hippo. Robert Lang used a computer to calculate the locations for the flaps, making those near-impossible to locate by hand, and requiring a ruler and/or computer to locate.

Next, we have the crease patterns that are very easy to solve, but leave you far from the finished figure. Compare the CP-solved base of Miyajima's Reaper to the final form. Check out Issei Yoshino's F-15 , Horse, or Salmon and tell me you could fold those from the CP. (NOTE: These are diagrammed, not CP'd)

And then come the flat-out hard to fold. Jason Ku, when he was in his model-a-day phase, just circle-packing inordinately difficult inefficent, somewhat-poor designs came up with some stuff that was just ridiculous to fold. His stuff has gotten much better in recent years.

And then there's Ryo Kamiya's Housemaid. It's built on a 52x52 grid. All creases are orthogonal, but it's still hard to call this one box-pleating. I plan to attempt this one sometime, but it's pretty daunting.

In Satoshi Kamiya's Ryu-Zin, it is easy to locate the creases, the base is very close to the finished piece, and the CP is actually pretty easy to understand, if not fold.

So, there is a lot of more difficult stuff than Kamiya's Ryu-Zin. BUT, the Ryu-Zin is still the most impressive origami work, both on an exterior level, and for its extremely clever design.
Last edited by origamimasterjared on December 28th, 2009, 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogs rock012

Post by dogs rock012 »

deleted
Last edited by dogs rock012 on July 21st, 2007, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

yes not ryujin, (all ver still old of 2002). 3.5 little more hard maybe, it same like other but more detail after base + some new crease, (not inside calander for new detail crease: head, foot, tail) But scale it easy to add change 3.5 :)
Miyajima stuff easy but good. Also some 100x100 GRID boxpleat not fun in fold. So better you make create model other just big grid haha. Some okay some pleat ok. But possible for some hardest Meguro, brianchan pattarn or Lang so dont no.
dogs rock012

Post by dogs rock012 »

So hard to decide. :cry: