Sea Turtle Guide

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Stylus

Sea Turtle Guide

Post by Stylus »

Hey,

I'd love a Kamiya Sea Turtle guide as well, if you're still passing them out Anermak :D. Thanks for your help with this challenging model!

Email: Origamistylus[at]yahoo[dot]com

Thanks again,

Stylus

P.S. Does this look like a Hawksbill Sea Turtle to anyone else? Maybe we should have a Sea Turtle Challenge. I believe Sirgo has done a Leatherback. Maybe someone could do an identifiable Ridley or Green ST?
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Hey there Stylus:
I think you accidentally made a new thread, instead of posting in the "Could Master anermak make a cp tutor of sea turtle?" thread.

But yea, as a turtle fanatic too, I also thought it was a hawksbill, mainly because of the way the scutes layer on top of one another. But, I'm not positive since the head doesn't make any clear distinction, namely, the "hawk's bill", and the shell isn't as flat as a hawksbill's. Because of this, I'm currently working on a definite hawksbill. Hopefully I can stick with and put up some pics eventually.
Stylus

Newbie Mistake

Post by Stylus »

Yes, I believe you're right about the posting error. How come when I hit reply it created a new thread? I hope it doesn't with this one as well!
In any case, I look forward to seeing your definitive Hawksbill!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I believe it's a loggerhead turtle.
My super growing flickr gallary- Check it out!
_Insert witty signature here_
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

To be honest, I don't think Kamiya intended to be specific. Based on his other works, he usually named animals by their latin names. He's usually specific, but in this case, he's not.

Nathan, you're right in the respect there are five lateral scutes, but the head is not over-sized and snubbed, in comparison to other sea turtles. And the scutes are overlapping, like a hawksbills. The head looks like a green's. Now, if we look at the plastron, it's totally ambiguous, so there was no effort to make any distinguishment.

We can conclude it's a sea turtle, and a beautiful one at that. That's all, haha.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a Loggerhead. In the magazine, it says "Loggerhead Sea Turtle". Same all over the web.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Hmm, well I guess that's that then, haha. It's just 'sea turtle' on his site, so that's where I got that idea from.
I guess there's details even Kamiya missed, heh.

I don't know if it's just me but turtles and tortoises in general are really difficult to make super-detailed (And I mean complex in regards to say, a fuzzy dog). There's so many discrepancies and variations in anatomy, plus putting the right arrangements of plates on both the carapace and plastron. Let alone making it round.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Yeah, I've tried a turtle once. My friend wants/wanted me to make her a red-eared slider. Lizards are also surprisingly tough.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

yeah, I've been trying a Green Iguana, but not happy with the result...yet! Ben Muller's Iguana is quite good though.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

origamimasterjared wrote:Yeah, I've tried a turtle once. My friend wants/wanted me to make her a red-eared slider. Lizards are also surprisingly tough.
Hah, well, the color change could make it easy to define, haha. Too bad nothing else on the turtle is red.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

JeossMayhem, how come you know so much about turtles. ``Finding Nemo` your favorite movie. (just kiddin). Is it part of your job, or just an interest.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

As of now, an interest. I used to spend my summers researching turtles and tortoises as a hobby in middle school. Hah, dorky, I know. :roll: I have a russian tortoise at home too.
And someday, I hope to get into the marine sciences. One of my dreams is to work for sea turtle conservation.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

No, I don`t think it`s dorky. I have alot of respect for anybody who loves animals. Here is a nice photo while I was scuba diving off the coast of Mozambique. I think Marine Sciences should be amazing. It`s something I wanted to do, don`t know why I didn`t!!
Quentin
Stylus

Post by Stylus »

Cool, I started a whole turtle discussion! I too studied sea turtles, while working as a biologist in Mexico. I also have an Eastern Box Turtle at home. I would love to fold his portrait. I think a variation of Lang's Desert Tortoise with folded scutes and longer toes would do. Apparently his tortoise with detailed shell is tricky though, perhaps harder than his Western Pond. He folded a complex Red-eared Slider too. No color change though.

So as to not lose the original point of this thread (which was my fault anyway since I started a new one) can Anermak send me his Kamiya folding guide?

Thanks!

Stylus
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Stylus: You might want to go back to to other thread .... or PM Anermak
directly ... to request his diagrams.

JeossMayhem: I grew up in Charleston, South Carolina (I know... a continent away), and we worked with the local museum on sea turtle rescue. Also, the College of Charleston has one of the best marine biology programs on the East coast of the USA. Even if you aren't interested in relocation,
it is nice to see what else is out there for marine biology.

http://www.scaquarium.org/seaturtle/default.html

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/n ... tml?id=749

- Hank Simon