What are reference Lines?

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
efmp1987

What are reference Lines?

Post by efmp1987 »

Sorry for this newbie question, and Im quite new to origami, but what does reference line means? and is it ok to use kamiya's angel fish as my first crease pattern? thanks for the reply
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

a reference line is a line that shows you where to place the flap/point/edge or whatever.
like in this picture, there's a reference line starting from a reference point. it's to let you know where to fold the paper to. often the reference lines are not creased and just connect to existing points.

or like this
unknownfolder

Post by unknownfolder »

Kamiya's angelfish is a litte complex. I have still never folded it. If you are looking for a good beginner's crease pattern try Chocobo
Whenever I do complex Origami I get this sinking feeling.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Excuse my dumb question, but where did you find a CP for Satoshi Kamiya's Angelfish? In the Origami Database there is no Angelfish by Kamiya listed and I also didn't find the CP on his homepage.
Also I wouldn't rate the Chocobo as an easy CP for beginners. The CP may look easy but actually it is very hard to turn it into the desired model.

To find good and easy beginner CPs follow the links on our Crease Pattern FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=2131
unknownfolder

Post by unknownfolder »

Well I just meant to get the base. I have folded the base rather easily, but the sequence after that is a bit of a mystery. I really meant it was a good example of a model where you had to find the reference lines as opposed to a simple four quadrant design.

Also, the angelfish's crease pattern I believe you are referring to is here Anna.
Whenever I do complex Origami I get this sinking feeling.