Help with Kayima's Yellow Bird?

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Bumblefoot

Help with Kayima's Yellow Bird?

Post by Bumblefoot »

Hi, I started folding Robert Lang's Dancing Crane design about a week ago and I finally finished it yesterday. (It looks a bit rough in places but it's good for my first attempt)

Today I started folding the Yellow Bird by Satoshi Kamiya. It has been really easy so far but now I'm stuck on step 23. (Out of 80... :( )

In step 23 you have to do a petal fold and, although I know roughly how to do this fold, I'm not quite sure what the diagram is telling me to do.

Up until now, when making any folds, reference points that were created during pre-creasing showed me what point in the paper I was to fold to.

I don't think the bottom edge of the shape will go all the way to the top of the triangle when you petal fold it, but how do you determine where to aim for?

Hopefully some of that can be understood, sorry I can't explain myself a bit better.

Adam

Post by Adam »

I made a very blurry and unclear video about step 23, using my mobile phone. It shows you how to do the petal fold. Here's my channel with 2 video's of the folding process.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AdamKuczynski

You have to fold the outer edges to the middle ( so that it kind of resembles a kite base ) and unfold them again. Then open up the model and fold along the creases you just made. You'll also have to create a crease from the point where the previous crease ends ( at the outer edge ) towards the center of the flap-thingy.
Repeat this on the other side.

After this step you'll have to unfold the whole thing and eventually you'll have to collapse it along these newly created creases.

I'm also uploading a pdf file which also shows you how to make a bird base ( which is created with 2 petal folds ).

http://rapidshare.com/files/143584376/b ... e.pdf.html

Hope this helps you!

:EDIT: Added another video, and I made a new channel.
Last edited by Adam on September 14th, 2008, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bumblefoot

Post by Bumblefoot »

Hey thanks for your help :D

I just couldn't get my head round it, your video helped me out completely.

I am now well on with the model and will hopefully finish it today :D

Thanks again!
Adam

Post by Adam »

My pleasure. Glad to hear it helped you out. :)