New Books by Nicolas TERRY

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

A random folder wrote:Just a small question about book shipment-

I ordered my copy of 'License to Fold' on Jan 27, when can I probably expect it to be in the mailbox when I am in the Los Angeles area?

*Edit* Thanks.
If you check the e-mails that you got from origami-shop, I would basically use those as a guideline before contacting Mr. Terry. For economic delivery, I believe it says it can take anywhere from 2-8 weeks, with a 3-4 week average. So I would probably wait until week 8 before making an inquiry, as it does say "be patient." I have ordered from him multiple times, live on the east coast, and usually get it around week #5 by economic delivery. So I would expect west coast to take a little longer.

Notably, every time I think about contacting Mr. Terry the order arrives within the next couple of days.
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

For "A random folder" and any other custumers of the book :

Please, do NOT use this forum to talk about ship problems or any other details about the sale. The goal of this topic is ONLY to talk about the book.
If any questions about conditions, sale, option, location of your package or other commercial aspect, please contact me directly using the shop or my private mail. Thanks

Nicolas
http://www.passionorigami.com : all the latest news about origami
Spinner

Post by Spinner »

Hi everyone, please to be now part of this community (I promise I'll try to write in my best english :D )

I'll join almost everybody here to say how much i love Terry'book. Fine quality, wonderfull diagrams, a lot of different style for each creator... and a lot of chalenges ^^

Until now, I hadn't too much time until today to practise this book, except te duck and the goose (lovely !)

So, thanks to Nicolas, I really enjoy his work for this book (and thanks to all the creators who have participated !)

Now I juste have to solve the code :roll: I've a lot of ideas of what it isn't, but no clue of what it is... :evil:
For those who know more than me, do you think we need the entire book to solve the grid, or are the grid and the numbers enough ? (Of course I don't want the answer, but I think I've already spend more time on the code than on diagrams... At least, I've began with reading all the description of the autors, and those interviews are really a good idea !)

Thanks again !
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

Thanks very much Spinner for the good feedback !
You need the entire book to find the secret sentence help (that's seems more difficult to find than the secret code for most folder :) ). With the secret sentence help, you will have keyword to solve the secret code.
You need only the first page to solve the secret code.

For all :

Nguyen just send me the corrected version of the eagle's diagram.
I'm going to check it and probably give you some key steps to correct the mistake of the tail.

Nicolas
TERRY Nicolas

Post by TERRY Nicolas »

These the main correction that Nguyen just sent me. Hope that help you.
Nicolas

[img]http://design.origami.free.fr/terry/lic ... -eagle.jpg[/img]
Spinner

Post by Spinner »

Thanks for the update !
I still haven't tried it, but I've began to study the diagrams... I'm a bit afraid after all I've read, but it's always easier with the paper ^^
And the diagrams are beautifull, the "work in progress" very clear, it finally seems we just have to follow the paper...
Like for the sculptor : just fold what isn't a part of the eagle....
sage_82

Post by sage_82 »

I have a feeling I can guess the Secret Code, but I still can't figure out how to use find the secret sentence.

How many people have actually gotten the secret code so far? How many have actually gotten the sentence?
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I've looked thru the book to locate the sentence and haven't found it yet. And, I have no clue how to solve the matrix for the secret code.

However, I have guessed incorrectly 2 or 3 times.....

- Hank Simon
A random folder

Post by A random folder »

*bump*

On step 56, it shows a long diagonal line connecting both corners exactly, then on step 58, that long diagonal line lies slightly off those two corners. Is this a mistake, or am I hallucinating?
sage_82

Post by sage_82 »

It actually doesn't matter. It is a question of the crimp that you folded in 55, and once you fold step 77 you will no longer worry about that crease.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

A random folder wrote:On step 56, it shows a long diagonal line connecting both corners exactly, then on step 58, that long diagonal line lies slightly off those two corners. Is this a mistake, or am I hallucinating?
you're not. bottom line is that the poster above me is correct. i actually skip step 56 now. how "askew" you make 56 from the center can effect how big the extra flap of paper appears at the bottom of step 59. as i stated earlier, though, you do not need to worry about the strip of paper, its width, or whether you have it at all and the model is completely flush. it becomes irrelevant as you shape the wings.
mr.mwood

Post by mr.mwood »

This book is absolutley class! thank you Nicolas!

I have loved making the models and the bios at the back are really good.

Here comes the enevitable tho, I am having trouble completing the Eagle! I fell a bit stupid as no one else seems to be having the problem that I am, but can you flat fold step 76? it says that the model will not lie flat after Step 72 but in the steps to come fro 76 onwards it looks like it is flat.
maybe I am folding it wrong, as the dimond folds shown in step 70 look like they cannot fold flat ever. (the way I have folded it)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and if you looking to buy this book, do it, I bought it from england and deliver and payment was smooth sailing.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

this is probably the most annoying step in the model, as there are no landmarks or precreasing for the squash-fold of the trapezoid, but this will be the underbelly of the model, and does not need to be perfect.

the most important thing to take care of is that the middle (small) diamond is NOT a symmetric fold. if you attempt to make it symmetric the model will not collapse. if you think of the two large diamonds as partial sink folds, the middle diamond is really just a reverse fold. i hope that makes sense. done this way, the entire flap collapses and is flat, but is quite thick.
mr.mwood

Post by mr.mwood »

I have just given this a go and I have it flat now, I think I understand what you have described and If I have then well done you, I'll carry on and see if I can complete the model and will let you know.

Thank you so much for your help you have save countless hair on my head. lol

Thanks again
StarPartener

Post by StarPartener »

The book is amazing! Does anyone know what kind of paper is used for the swordsman on the back of the book?