Hey! Help with my first CP? Great models..

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Sebyfrog

Hey! Help with my first CP? Great models..

Post by Sebyfrog »

Hey folders,
my name is sebastian, I'm 20 years old, and i've been folding for about a year and a half know now after seeing the swan in Prison Break. After a few days, i realised origami was absolutely amazing and i've been addicted to it ever since.
The latest models i folded is the devil by Jun Maekawa and the eastern dragon by jospeh wu.

Anyway, my goal now is to start understanding crease patterns.
I found these 2 superb models recently,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hsi-hua/
the fish is beautifully clean, and the cat is just briliant.
I have no idea how to fold the fish, I did not recognise no base (fish, waterbomb...), so could anyone guide me for this one? How to begin really? Excellent model.

And for the cat, i just need to work on the head, but im really having a hard time.

Anyway, if you could guide me or give me advices, that would be excellent,
hope you enjoy these models,
Seb :)
Live forever man...
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

viewtopic.php?t=2131

The models you choose look easy and good for a beginner with Crease Patterns. For the first time print them out, fold along the lines and try to collapse everything into a base. When this is done you can begin to form the details (f.e. face of the cat).
If I where you, I'd begin with the cat. Both models begin with an 8x8 grid so you should begin with folding that first than adding the additional creases.
Good luck!
BluePaper

Post by BluePaper »

That's exactly how I started folding my first crease patterns :D It helps a lot to understand how ever part of the model is folded.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

If you are interested in pursuing the study of crease patterns and the underlying structures of origami further, you should look into the book Origami Design Secrets (ODS) by Robert Lang. That is certainly not to say that you can't learn about these things without the book-ODS just contains a compilation of a lot of that kind of information. That is how I learned to fold crease patterns and start designing.
Sebyfrog

Post by Sebyfrog »

Thank you for your help,
that is what I did for the cat, a folded the exact crease pattern, and then folded the body, but i'm struggling with the head. But I'm working on it...
The fish I find hard at the moment. Yes they are quite easy and the models are very nice so it's a good and enjoyable start. I will let you know how it goes.
About the ODS by robert lang, i've been thinking about bying it, i've just finished reading from angelfish to zen by peter engel, very nice book although I don't understand everything... So I'm probably going to purchase that book next.

Thanks again for your help
Live forever man...
hrabbit

Post by hrabbit »

Did the cps get taken down? I wanted to try it but I can't seem to find it anywhere....
Sebyfrog

Post by Sebyfrog »

Unfortunately, it seems he took the cp's off his flickr. :?:
Live forever man...
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Yes, that's a pity, they are such nice models and the CPs looked like good beginner CPs.
hrabbit

Post by hrabbit »

ugh... that is too bad :( seems like the original pictures were taken down too....
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

read your PM.

- Hank Simon
Sebyfrog

Post by Sebyfrog »

Well, I still have got the cp's saved on my computer for the cat and fish, so if someone's interested, I'd be happy to send them by email or something. :) The fish is really nice but I can't fold it.
Still working on it, meanwhile, I folded Komatsu's owl with the branch, stunning model.

Peace
Live forever man...