Robert J. Lang - Grasshopper (Complete Book)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
leo

Robert J. Lang - Grasshopper (Complete Book)

Post by leo »

Hi, all
I fold for some months now, so I'm a newbie.
Recently I bought Lang's Complete Book of Origami but I've stuck in the grasshopper's step 7. It is in the sink of the right corner. Whatever I did doesn't much with step 10 "sink the hidden point at the right".
I would appreciate any help or advice!
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

I'll throw in the standard advice: If you're stuck on a very early step in a Lang model, you probably should get more practice with easier models first. :)
MeadowMuffin

Post by MeadowMuffin »

I can understand why it's causing difficulties. When you make he sink in step 7, the top part of the sink is a V that wraps around a layer that runs horizontally. When you go to do the sink in step 10, you can sort of precrease it in half, but you're going to have to open the model a bit and use that hoizontal layer to shape the top the way it was in addtion to the sink.

I hope that helps.
Radiant_Howl2628

Post by Radiant_Howl2628 »

hey if anyone could help me with step 40 with the grasshopper from origami insects and their kin i would be very grateful =]
the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

Further posts will come, once I have my book with me...
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Radiant_Howl2628 wrote:hey if anyone could help me with step 40 with the grasshopper from origami insects and their kin i would be very grateful =]
Surely you mean step 41? Step 40 is pretty easy, just open the model a bit in preparation for the next step.

In step 41, you're basically doing a giant reverse-fold on the creases from step 36, while rabbit-earing the triangular areas on either side of it.
Ironmanlife

Re: Robert J. Lang - Grasshopper (Complete Book)

Post by Ironmanlife »

I am stuck on step 19 of Lang's grasshopper from the Complete Book.

It's a simple fold, "valley fold one layer upwards at the right" but on the diagram the layer appears to be *behind* the petal fold, so when I do the valley fold, half of the petal fold should still remain. However, on my mode, the layer that needs to be valley folded is attached to the petal fold, not behind it. I've reversed all the way back to step 13 and still can't figure out what I've done wrong.

I've got such clean lines on this model so far I don't want to abandon!
Any help would be hugely appreciated.
the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

I think this video demonstrates step 19 adequately.

Ironmanlife

Post by Ironmanlife »

Thank you Einstein.
As it turns out I just mistakenly had a flap pointing forward and needed to valley fold it back. It was such a simple fix. I guess sometimes the most obvious solutions elude us because they are right in front of our face.

Grasshopper model complete - for the first time after 3 tries.

Hugely appreciated!
Herkio

Post by Herkio »

Dear readers,

I have the exact same problem as the OP of this thread. However, I still don't get it! I'll include pictures of what my fold is after the sink in step 7, to get feedback on whether it is right or not. Indeed, the V around the horizontal layer is there, only in step 10 I have no idea what to sink - there isn't a single central layer in the middle anymore.
Down/front view

Side view

Thanks in advance for any help,

Herkio
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

You need to push the middle of that flap back out during the sink. One way to understand a sink fold is that you're taking an area of a flap, and reflecting it along a plane; you've reflected the outside layer, but not the inner layer of the flap:

Herkio

Post by Herkio »

This has been a great help, thanks! Although I think I'll have to try either some easier Lang models as an introduction, or practice the grasshopper more - the sink in step 10 is my next obstacle for now.

[EDIT] And I did it! The full grasshopper is done, very nice fold indeed.