Methyl cellulose question

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
OrigamiJT

Methyl cellulose question

Post by OrigamiJT »

hey everyone, i know there have been many pages on methyl cellulose, but i havent seen anything on this particular subject......is it possible to STORE it somehow? because ive made a large batch, and i dont wanna throw the rest out.....
to fold or not to fold....THAT is the question....
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Close the container well and store it in your refrigerator. Maybe it is also possible to store it at room temperature, but I haven't tried yet. In the refrigerator it stays good for at least some months.
OrigamiJT

Post by OrigamiJT »

hey, thanks a lot fer the help. and i can really last that long? i had figured it was only good fer like, a few weeks or so......but anyways, thank you =)
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Typically, only two things happen to MC: either it dries out or mold grows on it... it may also get a little discolored after a long time.

If it dries, you can usually add a little more water to it.

If mold grows on it, sometimes you can scoop the moldy layer off.

If you store it, like Anna said, MC should be good for a long time.

If you keep it for months at a time, you might want to test it for color (discoloration is VERY obvious) and thickness on some test paper to see how it spreads. If it looks OK, you don't need to wait for the test piece to dry.

- Hank Simon
OrigamiJT

Post by OrigamiJT »

alright, thank you very much Anna and Hank :D
Max

Post by Max »

I store a higher concentrated MC solution in a cupboard at room temperature since 6 month and until now i have no mold growing on it. So for at least 6 month room temperature should be okay...i'll continue the experiment and let you know when i find the first molds *g*