Copyright question

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
TheScarletTwizby

Copyright question

Post by TheScarletTwizby »

What, if any, legal issues surround the creation of an origami version of copyrighted material? (for example, origami versions of anime characters)
I am pretty sure that it is legal to design and fold them, having seen several examples, but are there any less obvious issues?

Specifically, I am in the process of developing a model based off of Darkrai from nintendo's pokemon games.
CatEater

Post by CatEater »

I would think it isnt a problem because many people have designed from video games and movies and stuff, more specifically there are alot of origami pokemon out there that have been deisgned by people.
TheScarletTwizby

Post by TheScarletTwizby »

Thanks. I havent seen very many, so I just wanted to make sure.
Sara

Two examples

Post by Sara »

Well, the first two models that pop up in my mind are:

1. Spenjurmunni by Robert J. Lang (Pokemon)
2. Yellow Bird by Satoshi Kamiya (Chocobo)

Why? Because both resemble known characters, but were given a different name. I'm not sure about the motivation Robert Lang had. However, I seem to remember hearing or reading somewhere that Kamiya-san did so because of fear of copyright infringement. Iin his book Kamiya-san does quite obviously state that it is meant to be a chocobo, but he doesn't spell it out (ie instead of Final Fantasy just says popular video game, and never mentions the word chocobo).

I think you're probably safe to design models inspired by any existing characters, but if you're publishing you might have restrictions on what you may call the model.

On the other hand, there are lots of designs that are named after the characters they resemble. There's quite a few examples by Robin Glynn (http://glynnorigami.co.uk). There are also some designers that concentrate on replicating ships etc from well-known series. It might make a difference whether you publish your designs in a book, and how well known you are as a designer in general. Robert Lang, for example, is probably the origami designer that has the most media attention more recently, and Kamiya-san published diagrams for the "Yellow Bird" in his book.

-- Sara
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

I would also point out that regardless, it's not worth the copyright holder's time to go after you unless you're actually making money with it, or distributing it widely.

IMHO you should design your own subjects though-- it's more creative, and then you never have to worry about copyright infringement.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I agree with Sara and Andrew, but would like to add a footnote. Although we have seen an ET model and the recent Wall-E, I don't remember ever seeing an origami Mickey Mouse, probably for obvious reasons....

- Hank Simon
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

You haven't seen Mickey Mouse because it's hard. Actually, I know of one, but it's not very good.

ET just means extra terrestrial. Jun Maekawa's design hardly looks like the movie character.

Other examples of origami characters with their names changed: Satoshi Kamiya's "Divine Dragon", "Wizard", "Inoshishigami" were all changed for the book. Jeremy Shafer's "Familiar Starship". All the pokémon stuff in the Tanteidan convention books has been renamed, "Burning Anteater", "The North Wind", "Reptile with a Bulb on its Back", etc.

"Halle" doesn't use his real name in his books of Cartoon Origami.

In fact, as far as I know, there are no published books featuring copyrighted characters where both the author and designs have their proper names., where the author has not first gotten the blessing of the character owner. Some Star Trek and Star Wars stuff comes to mind). Tanteidan doesn't count in that it's a compilation of submissions, not a regular book.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

I saw a Mickey Mouse at the Gallery House in Japan. It was really good - made by Kamiya, but from multiple sheets (all black and white though). I think 3-4 sheets in all.
From all the things I saw there, the Mickey Mouse was the one that cought my eye (not Ryuzin 3.5). It was small and on the bottom of a shelf somewhere.
Last year I asked Kamiya if he was going to work on it again, but he didnt look too fussed about it.
bethnor
Buddha

Re: Two examples

Post by bethnor »

Sara wrote:Well, the first two models that pop up in my mind are:

1. Spenjurmunni by Robert J. Lang (Pokemon)
2. Yellow Bird by Satoshi Kamiya (Chocobo)

Why? Because both resemble known characters, but were given a different name. I'm not sure about the motivation Robert Lang had.
I think his motivation was to be clever :D
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I know when to fold'em :-) I did a search for Origami Mickey Mouse and found some... I guess the Mouse is not as overly-protective as I thought.

- Hank Simon
steingar

Post by steingar »

Years ago someone came up wtih a good Batman model, an requested permission from DC comics to publish the diagrams. DC comics send a very legal and threatening letter back saying in no uncertain terms should he even attempt to do so. Better to ask forgiveness than permission I always say.
Wizmatt

Post by Wizmatt »

Brian Chan has done loads of models from cartoons and films (WALL-E, Iron man, Batman and some japanese anime characters). I don't think he has had any problems with copyright stuff.
Nick

Post by Nick »

This may be so, but don't make any assumptions. Many years ago, Jeff Beynon designed a stylised "head of batman" - out of courtesy, he sent it to DC comics for comment. In return he received a seriously heavyweight letter from their lawyers *strongly* forbidding any such use of their copyrighted material.

So, whilst folders may get away with it and it may seem innocent fun, they will fall on you like a ton of kami if they choose to.
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

I agree with Nick. My experience is so that me (or you) as a designer and folder and propagator etc. must be very carefull to use anything. We had (among many others) some problem, absolutely incomprehensible to us, with one of you... :cry: But, luckily, many of you are very kind people! Thank you very much!
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

Multysheet mikey mouse it is by kamiya