Copyright Question

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
emberjelly

Copyright Question

Post by emberjelly »

This is pobly a silly question, but if i diagram someone elses model for personal use, can i share it with friends? For no personal gain of course.

thanks,
emberjelly
stevieboy1

Post by stevieboy1 »

Dont cont on my answer but id say yes its ok??? As I have seen many others diagram models that have only cps etc. Surly if its for personel use and friends etc there cant be any harm in it. :wink:

But thats just my pennys worth :wink:

Kind regards
Steve :D
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

That should be fine. A general rule in the origami world seems to be that sharing things person-to-person (e.g. not over the internet or using digital reproductions) is absolutely fine. During conventions people teach others' models all the time.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

No. You can teach it, but unless you get permission from the author, distributing diagrams is a no. Besides, your diagrams are probably wrong. Some authors will grant permission. Especially if you've done a really good job, e.g. Carlos Furuti's diagrams for Noboru Miyajima's Bat. Some may request that you just cite theirs as inspiration because your diagrams don't show how to fold their design, e.g Diego Quevedo's Cazador Nocturno from the CP for Robert Lang's Night Hunter. And some say no, keep 'em to yourself, like Satoshi Kamiya, in particular about his Ryu-Zin.

Photos have been deemed okay by the community though, as they are such poor quality and would not compete with good diagrams.
HankSimon
Buddha

Panther Mask, HOJYO Takashi

Post by HankSimon »

Not exactly the right Topic, but close. Last year, we were talking about reverse engineering the Panther Mask by HOJYO Takashi...

Search is not my friend.... Does anyone remember that thread ?

Thanks,

- Hank Simon
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Copyright aside, it's considered good etiquette to ask the designer's permission before doing anything with their model, especially something like drawing diagrams or publishing a CP from reverse-engineering. So I'd do that, just to be safe.

If the designer has already told you not to, don't do it. It may be legal, but really, it's not worth it. There are plenty of designers out there who WANT their models diagrammed... and the fuss that might be caused (as in Phu Tran's rose) really isn't worth it.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

My understanding was that the diagrams were just going to be shared among some friends, not widely distributed. I don't think there would be a problem with just letting some friends see/borrow them as long as they don't get, say, posted online for everyone to see.
Sara

Post by Sara »

Ah, that's a rocky road. The problem with that is that not everyone will have that view, and the diagrams might well be posted online by one of those friends, or friends of those friends.
In my opinion as soon as you spread diagrams or something of the kind you should ask permission - no matter what the scale. Of course, designers might have different views on whether it's ok or not depending on the scale.

I have personally drawn diagrams or progressive crease pattern for personal use. But for me "personal use" means only I use them. :) It is sometimes helpful to have some reminders for teaching sessions.

As to teaching small groups, I haven't asked for explicit permission most times [although for most I have permission to post videos online, so they should be fine with private teaching at society sessions]. I think most designers are happy to have their models taught in small groups. There are of course some exceptions. For example, teaching Valerie Vann's Magic Rose Cube has been scratched off my list because of her strong views on any spreading of her models [except through her or her publications].
For teaching Kawasaki-san's rose at the BOS convention, I did indeed ask permission explicitly for that occasion (although he had granted me permission to teach his models privately before). I think at least the "official" folding sessions at conventions [i.e. planned ahead of time] should be granted by the designer.

As to anything you put online, yes, definitely, you should get permission. It might be some effort to contact the designers, but I don't like people using that as an excuse. In the end, I've found most designers [that I have contacted] are happy to share in one way or the other. Sadly, I have also found that not everyone doing origami gives the designers and their great effort enough respect. Asking permission is one way of showing respect. "Necessary, but not sufficient", actually.

-- Sara
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Thanks for the search link. I had put in too much information. I'm really going to light a fire with the next one :-)

My interest was in modification. Someone had posted a picture of the Hojyo Panther and the Lafosse Panther. They start from different bases, use different styles, and look very different - but both are unmistakably Panthers.

I'd remembered that posted Hojyo Panther was just a little different than the one in Tanteidan Book 8 ... a difference in folding or representation that wasn't significant - softer - and gave me an idea.

I want to doodle around with a synthesis of the two styles. I don't know what I'll get and I don't know if my hybrid will live or die. I've already created a mess by "over" wetfolding the Hoyjo model... and the dry folded LaFosse model is pretty lifeless.

If it turns into a Frankenstein abomination, then I will set it adrift on an ice floe never to be seen. But, if "It's Alive, It's Alive !" then I'll post pictures...

- Hank Simon