Robert J. Lang - Lizard

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
DanDaMan

Robert J. Lang - Lizard

Post by DanDaMan »

I cannot seem to figure out how to complete step 22. I have never done an open sink before (at least I don't think so). I looked it up and a website told me that it is just like making a waterbomb base inside the model. How exactly do I do that? Thank you in advance.
Programming, Ping Pong, and Juggling, Oh My!
Slinky + Escalator = Everlasting Fun
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

I hope no website told you it's like making a waterbomb base. What's more likely is that they showed a waterbomb base as an example of something you could perform an open sink on. An open sink is a maneuver that totally inverts a flap (or portion of a flap). You can think of it like this: If a reverse-fold is a 1-dimensional inversion of a flap, an open sink is like a 2-dimensional version.

And just about every origami book of intermediate or higher difficulty shows how to make an open sink. Origami Design Secrets included.
DanDaMan

Post by DanDaMan »

"The open sink usually involves opening out the paper, and reversing creases to make a waterbomb base in the middle of the model." I hope this doesn't mean that Wikipedia lied to me.

Wow I'm an idiot for looking in up on Wikipedia and not even thinking to look it up in the beginning of the book. Now that I am looking at the open sink diagrams, I realize that I actually have done a lot of these. Mostly with models resembling the preliminary fold. I see the concept of what I have to do, but I just can't seem to get the fold to work. I'll keep trying though.
InsomniacFolder

Post by InsomniacFolder »

Way back in the mists of time when I first encountered these triangular sinks I was also flummoxed by them.
Until, that is, I just opened out the paper. You should then be able to see a continuous line formed by the precrease(s)forming a polygon inside the paper.
It is that area that needs to be sunk.
The smaller section, defined by the second precrease needs to apply the same action, but back in the opposite direction.
The effect is to hide all of the paper of the flap within the area between the center line and the precrease cloesst to it.

Even now I still mess them up from time to time - and don't get me started on my initial experiences with double rabbit ears...
"Had we but world enough and time..."
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Just make sure your creases are sharp and you have a whole lot of patience.
Slowly open up the supposed sink area, then since I suppose it is required to pleat it, slowly push up the inner sink then collapse the model.
I know my explaining skills are really crap and I hope you understand what I mean.
DanDaMan

Post by DanDaMan »

Thank you. I think I got it now.
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

DanDaMan wrote:"The open sink usually involves opening out the paper, and reversing creases to make a waterbomb base in the middle of the model." I hope this doesn't mean that Wikipedia lied to me.
And hey, for future reference.... Don't use Wikipedia when you're looking for origami information. I wrote some of the origami/papercraft articles back when I was in high school and didn't really know much about origami (that was about the time I joined this forum) Most of those articles haven't gotten much better since then! Google Search is a much more useful tool.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The shape in the middle doesn't necessarily need to be a waterbomb base, it can be any kind of regular and irregular polygon.
Terranova

Post by Terranova »

Mathematically speaking, all sinks are a single fold over a closed two-dimensional surface. Opening the surface, making the single fold, then closing the surface back up will allow you to make as many consecutive sinks as you want. **thinks back to Yoshino's motorcycle eight-fold accordion sinks...**
Don't make me get metaphorical with you.
DanDaMan

Post by DanDaMan »

ahudson wrote: And hey, for future reference.... Don't use Wikipedia when you're looking for origami information. I wrote some of the origami/papercraft articles back when I was in high school and didn't really know much about origami (that was about the time I joined this forum) Most of those articles haven't gotten much better since then! Google Search is a much more useful tool.
Yeah I searched it and Wikipedia was one of the first results. All my teachers say not to use Wikipedia, but this is the first time it has been questionably wrong.
clopper

Re: Robert J. Lang - Lizard

Post by clopper »

I am also having problems with this step. I cant move past it and I have tried endless times, only too fail with torn paper due to too much playing with the paper. Can anyone perhaps do a little walkthrough of this step grapgically? That would be so great
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

i could try to do picture diagrams.
clopper

Post by clopper »

That would be very helpful. Really appreciate that.
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

my photo diagrams
thats pretty much how it works.