Robert J. Lang - Stars and Stripes (CP)

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Robert J. Lang - Stars and Stripes (CP)

Post by ftangdude55 »

Does anyone have any idea to collapse the star shaped configurations in the CP? I really want to do this model, but the stars really are just confusing. If anybody can figure out a folding sequence, that would be greatly appreciated. :)

CP here.
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
topsu

Post by topsu »

Oh my, that's one hard CP! :shock:

I guess i'll try to do something, don't expect miracles from me, though.

EDIT: Ok, i think it could be folded like this.
(i'm sorry for the bad quality of these photos :oops: )

^There is the crease pattern for one star

^And there is the folded crease pattern.
I believe it's a twist fold, with a hexagonal pattern (i don't know if those are the correct terms, though :lol: )

Now to figure out how to do TWO stars... It will be a lot more difficult.
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

That was a nice theory, topsu, but it does not adhere to the original CP. The star shapes are pentagonal, and also three dimensional. Anybody else have any ideas? :?

I tried to put the fold onto paper, but it was really difficult... Whats even more annoying is that the creases inside the equilateral triangledo not snap onto a grid, making it seem to me like they are just there to make the space around the star flat foldable.
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
topsu

Post by topsu »

Hehe, i got to take a closer look at the model. :lol:

EDIT: It worked! I figured out how to make the stars! :D
I tried folding it from a large printed CP, and found out that the trick is to fold two edges as one to make it a 5-pointed star. That also makes it 3-dimensional :)
I'm taking pictures tomorrow.

I'm 95% sure it's done like this, but i may still be wrong :wink:
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Looking at the CP, it actually uses a bunch of hexagonal twist folds, since pentagons don't tile. Then you fold one of the sectors of the hexagon over itself and complete the twist fold. This will give you a 3D pentagon which you can then form into a star.

As I remember, Robert said he used hexagons, and then found a way to make the hexagons into 5-point stars.
topsu

Post by topsu »

You took the words out of my keyboard

:wink:
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

topsu

Post by topsu »

That's basically it, except the way the stars are together. :)

EDIT: Here we go:

This i the CP for the twist.

Twist complete.

Hiding one of the edges here, shown in black.

Not completely sure about this, but i think you are supposed to roll the star to the opposite direction from the twist, and fold the shown edge to the left hiding that one side.

Oh, and here is my try with a part of the CP, to show how to make multiple stars.

I know that it's kinda hard to understand, because my English is not that good :(
But i hopeyou get it somehow! :wink:
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

Wow. Thanks for all the help, you guys (especially you, Topsu, for making the mini photo guide)!
Now I think I will try to fold it in the near future. Thanks again! :)
My Flickr

topsu

Post by topsu »

No problem :)

I may fold it too sometime! :D (ugh...i can imagine the pain...)
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

topsu wrote:I can imagine the pain...
...Of measuring out all of the reference lines and points, drawing them onto the paper, and painstakingly folding all 50 stars. We can do this, topsu. Together. :)
My Flickr

topsu

Post by topsu »

Let's try at least :)

Now the next step would be figuring out the grid. I'll see what i can do...
Or do you know it already?
Ben385

Post by Ben385 »

In the video, Lang has all of the creases drawn out on the paper, so he probably just measured. It would also look not so great if you had grid lines all over the stripes. I think it looks much nicer as a clean model.
topsu

Post by topsu »

That's true, but knowing the grid would make it easier to measure the lines.
Also, Robert Lang is about a 1000 times better at folding than me, so i probably won't be able to fold the model as cleanly as him, even with just measuring everything.

EDIT: I'm NOT sure about this, but the grid could be.....100,5 :shock:
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

I haven't tried the flag yet, but I was just wondering: how would one go about putting in the creases that make the space around the stars flat?
Just wondering.
My Flickr