Yamauchi's Fireworks

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
Anine

Yamauchi's Fireworks

Post by Anine »

Hi!

I've tried folding Yamauchi's fireworks 3 times now. I've followed instructions on youtube, and in the filmclips there it looks so easy to turn it inside out over and over again. My 2 first attempts lies like a ring (a hole in the middle) and only in 1 position when I'm not handling it. The ones on you tube can lie in still in all patterns it seems. When I turn mine inside out, it springs back in that position when you're turning it. I tested another assembly method on youtube but then I couldn't connect the two ends to eachother because the paper was so tight the modules didn't spread apart so much that they could form a ring.
What am I doing wrong? How do I make it look like the ones on youtube where the modules meet and touch eachother in the middle and you can turn it inside out and it stays in any position you want?
Hope you understand what I mean.
Regards,
Anine
Growlanator

Post by Growlanator »

i was shown this method http://www.happyfolding.com/instruction ... s_improved which works better than the youtube ways for assembly, if all your module folding is done properly, this way is a breeze ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/growlanator/
http://www.rizon.net/ channel origami found it very useful, chatty ppl, tips advice etc in real time :D
Anine

Post by Anine »

This is the video on youtube that I followed for my 2 first attempts. Here is a picture of my fireworks

and here is how I want it to be (the modules touching eacother in the middle, and there's a flow in turning it inside out, not using force and it's not jumping back in a certain position when you put it down)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-_JAs0J-qs
Help!
Regards,
Anine
jadylyon

Post by jadylyon »

The size of the paper seems to make a difference.

I've folded three of these, two small with 4.25" x 4.25" paper and one large at 8.5" x 8.5" The little ones will only stay "at rest" in two positions, they want to flip to one or the other.

The larger one however is much more relaxed and will rest easily in a number of layouts, including ones that do not show the central hole. It will snap still to the last position however.

Foldingsmith

Re: Yamauchi's Fireworks

Post by Foldingsmith »

Anine wrote: I tested another assembly method on youtube but then I couldn't connect the two ends to eachother because the paper was so tight the modules didn't spread apart so much that they could form a ring.
Could it be that that the other assembly method you refer to has it using a couple less units? Like 12, rather than 14?
Anine

Re: Yamauchi's Fireworks

Post by Anine »

Isn't it supposed to be 12 units no matter what papersize you use? In that specific video it doesn't say in text how many units (and the sound isn't working on this computer), but in Rick Beech book. in Sara Adams video and at Yami's corner it says 12 units.
Foldingsmith

Post by Foldingsmith »

The thing is, you can add on as many units as you want...end up with a lei. Yami's done it out of more than 12 before (like 14- the assembly is easier, resulting in a looser model) since it's easier to get beginners to connect the ends. So I was curious to know if maybe that might be the problem. Apparently not.

I think jadylyon is correct that paper size may make the difference. I just never really thought about this, but seem to remember it feeling tighter to turn, when folded from smaller paper, like 3 inch squares.
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Anine, the model in that video isn't any better than what you describe-- it flips at 0:08. It's just been wetfolded so that it rests in the flat position. This is pretty easy to do-- take the finished model, spray it with some water, and hold it in place until it dries.

It is possible to get a smooth rotation, if you are very careful. Think of your fingers as brakes during the second half of the rotation, and you should be able to get rid of the sudden release of tension. It also helps if you hold it on both sides of the same module, as this will give you more control.
Anine

Post by Anine »

I did one from 10 cm squares after seeing one at youtube and you saying that size matters :wink: After a bit of squashing it stands in the position I wanted it to! :D Thank you so much for your help!
jadylyon

Post by jadylyon »

When in doubt, go big?

You're welcome! Do we get a picture?