stellated cubocta robert lang

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
origami93

stellated cubocta robert lang

Post by origami93 »

In THE COMPLETE BOOK OF ORIGAMI is where you'll find the model. i reeeally need help with steps 34 and 35. i have no idea what to do in step 34, so if i know how to do that step, i might not have any problems anymore.. HELP PLEASE! i don't want to have done all that precreasing for nothing.. :cry:
the modern einstein

Re: stellated cubocta robert lang

Post by the modern einstein »

Ok. It seems that step 19 is diagramed incorrectly, and I am a little lost as to what has happened with my model. I have gone back over to make sure I have not wrapped around the wrong layers, but step 19 shows a swivel that is only possible if you swivel different layers to what are mentioned in the previous steps. I'll post pictures up and show what I mean.
Falcifer

Post by Falcifer »

For steps 34-35;

Step 34 is just lifting the top layers up so that they're perpendicular to the model. You can't see them in step 35 because you're looking down the edge of the flaps.
Step 35 is slightly more complicated. You should have three layers/flaps each side. Each flap will actually be two layers of paper, but you treat them as one as this point. You have to lift the flaps so that you have one at the bottom, on at the top and one somewhere in the middle.

Step 19 isn't wrong. Step 32/33 is wrong, but step 19 should be fine. Make sure that you've only wrapped one layer each time. And also that you've turned the paper over when you should. Step 18 is a relatively simple pivot. It's like untucking some paper (not an unsink).
Step 19 is just lifting up a layer. I'm not sure where the swivel fold is that you mentioned.
the modern einstein

is this right? Sorry if it's a bit laggy, but I'm in auz, so the internet is not that good. I've gone back over the diagrams several times, and what I did, and I still can't seem to get what I did wrong. Yeah, I just realised it's a pivot, I just misread the name, but still cannot complete the manoeuvre.

Falcifer

Post by Falcifer »

As far as I can tell, it's correct. I can only assume that you're having trouble interpreting the diagrams, which sometimes happens. Once it clicks, it seems so obvious, but until then it seems impossible.

At about 1:40 in the video, where you open up the little boat shape, you want to pull out some of the model from there, as you rotate/pivot the front. Essentially, if you ignore the top arrow in step 18 and just pull the tip forward, it should start to pull up the rest of the paper that's attached to it. The paper is partially trapped inside the model, so you have to open it up as you do at 1:40 to let it lift up.

I'll have to refold and make a video if this isn't clear enough.
the modern einstein

I get what you're saying, and I was wondering if that was what i had to do before i asked, but I wouldn't call that what happens in the diagrams, resulting in my serious doubts if that was actually the right step to take, and they really should have been explained better in the book, but anyway, thanks for re-affirming my thoughts. I would have called it more of an untuck, than a pivot.

(I know this sounds like a dishonest "I knew that" post, but, I am actually being honest, in the fact that i was wondering wether what falcifer said was the right thing to do before he suggested it to me)

Ok if I am wrong in this step, tell me.