Satoshi Kamiya Dorothy Angel

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
JumPurge

Satoshi Kamiya Dorothy Angel

Post by JumPurge »

On Satoshi Kamiya's site, there are two models I absolutely love. Picture of the model and crease pattern are on the sites. I include both models here because I knew I could catch more attention from people who made either model than just try and make two separate topics at a time. Currently I'm working on Dorothy, however, help with the Angel for when I try it again would be much appreciated. :3

Angel:
http://www.folders.jp/g/2000/0004.html

Dorothy:
http://www.folders.jp/g/2008/0801.html

Angel: 32x32 on top (wings) and a 64x64 grid on the bottom*. Easy on top, WTF?! on the bottom x-x; I've managed to collapse the top part, but the bottom is always what catches me. I can't determine what part is what.

* Thanks to SunBurst for pointing out the real grid count.

Dorothy: 40x40 grid. I've got the grid, penciled in the creases, and folded them. Now my problem is trying to collapse it. I've got a general idea of what is what, however, it all goes down hill from there when I try to collapse it. -3-; Let alone, figure out what part of the paper would be considered "the outside" if you know what I mean. There's just a lot that is making my brain do some serious gymnastics, that I just end up falling face down D:

I've done some sneaking around on Google and found very few completed models of the two models. However, the only part that really grinds me is that angel fish of Satoshi's, because it mixes with the angel. I've been wanting to do ;3;

TL;DR I got some idea of the two models, halp is needed. Also this... wont be like the frilled lizard. These two I've been at for months trying to make Dx
Last edited by JumPurge on July 12th, 2010, 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
BluePaper

Post by BluePaper »

you said you were unsure what forms what on the angel? the top part forms the wings (I'm sure you probably already know this however), the center becomes the robe, the whole bottom edge and its associated flaps becomes the hair and the head and those two remaining flaps on the sides closer to the bottom become the hands. I dunno if you know all that yet but I guess it doesn't hurt to say again lol

anyway as for dorothy, I may try that tomorrow (i didn't know he put up the CP :V ), so if I do, I'll get back to you and try and help :)
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Yeah, I knew the top part formed the wings ;{P I folded it was like "oh... pretty" like some ADHD kid~
Oh really? 0-o
Huh... I thought the bottom flaps were fingers, judging from the picture of the angel. Hm... Must have just been like, an illusion. Like making pleats but not folding them over gives a similar effect of scales.
It all makes much more sense~

I was surprised too to see the Dorothy CP.~
I am completely at a loss for words at how hard it is to figure this out D: Like... Ancient dragon. Given the Crease Pattern, you can see what's what easily. It's pretty much all there. But this, the flaps are all tucked into the body and there's fingers, hair, and some ruffle on the torso? The only thing I know it's not the farm girl I know of the same name.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

The angel's grid is actually 32x32 on the top and 64x64 on the bottom. Good luck shaping the body : it's not easy to do it since you're working with what is basically a huge point.
I haven't folded Dorothy yet (I just might though) so I can't really say much about that one. Here's what I would start with : you know that the face and hair are different colors therefore fold the face (the big point in the upper middle) and try to do the color changes for the hair. Then go for the body, then the arms and finally the legs.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Just checked back on my notes I made of it, and I did miss count x-x
Thanks, I'll change that in the OP.
I can see that, just going by what BluePaper said D:
BluePaper

Post by BluePaper »

well I tried to fold the Dorothy CP yesterday (my brother is a fan of the anime anyway, so I figured why not? lol )

and yes. its hard. or perhaps more so odd than difficult. its all a bit confusing as I can kinda see how some things are supposed to be done but I can't for the life of my figure out how to do it.

I got some parts without much trouble, like I the arms/sleeves and hands weren't very difficult to figure out. And the skirt I could see roughly how its supposed to be done but I can't figure out how to actually do it :/

I got the torso and ruffle as well (albeit I'm unsure as to how it's all shaped and whatnot). It seems like you kinda need to fold over quite a few of the layers to do it though :/

The head I still need to do a bit more work on to understand better :B

there are also quite a few creases missing on the CP that'd probably be helpful >_> maybe not necessary but they'd be nice to have
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Maybe somebody should e-mail Satoshi to double check it x-x;
I'd love to have some pictures as a bit of reference for this, because I have little experience with CP's. The best I've done was Dao's Succusbus. D:
I don't even know how you managed to figure out what's the arms.
BluePaper

Post by BluePaper »

well the arm wasn't hard to find out :B I mean, if you fold the base, its sticking out to the side lol they come from two upper corners

and the one I folded is hardly presentable lol it wasn't folded from very large paper and I did it to try and figure out how everything works so its become quite messy from doing so.

I may make another attempt at it so if I do, I'll post pictures.

Dao's succubus doesn't have a very difficult CP, so I'd probably recommend working your way up to something like dorothy to learn more about how to work off of crease patterns.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

wat i thought it was hard ;-;
Well alright x-x;
Any suggestions for something that goes a bit above the succubus? I wont be wasting my paper trying to do the angel or Dorothy, especially if there isn't a whole lot about the two.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Wow, the CP is too hard/odd for Chad?! Haha, that design combines two things I don't like, anime and box-pleating, so, it's pretty low on my list, despite being Kamiya's. So apart from looking at it and saying that that is a pretty tough looking CP, there's not much I can do for ya.

Originally I thought it was some interpretation of Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, that went along with his Lion (and the whole cast that he folded in an old TV Champion), but then I looked it up, and found it was R. Dorothy from some anime.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Just pretend it is Dorothy then, Jared~. :P
I personally like the way this Dorothy looks compared to the Dorothy we have now for The Wizard of Oz. More serious looking (kind of like American McGees Alice). And paired with his lion, looks really complimentary.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Also, since I don't like box-pleating, it is certainly not my forte when it comes to CPs!
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Why? :0 They seem pretty much... well, easier.
Kafar
Forum Sensei

Post by Kafar »

cp with mountain/valley folds
if red = valley, blue = mountain, then white side up
folded base in oripa
folded and partially shaped by me
ImageImage
I hope this helps :D

ps. on flickr I added notes on cp so you can see what is what
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »