Robert J. Lang - Blue Crab

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
crazysquirl

Robert J. Lang - Blue Crab

Post by crazysquirl »

Hello,
I need some help with steps 27-34 in the book Origami Sea Life.
I'm not sure how it's suppose to look after each step.
Thanks for you time.

^.^
oz

Post by oz »

I'm slightly confused about the request... The next step shows a picture. Granted, it's a flat picture from a zenith point of view, but it does a decent job.

Are you having trouble with a particular step? Does your model not look like the diagrams? Anything specific we can help with?
garrasdecaiman

Post by garrasdecaiman »

first you fold the rectangular flaps into triangular flaps by half sinking half squashing and the double truncated bird bases go inside while still folded together, the first and second accordions are independent of each other and can almost be flat folded by themselves, after everything is "sunk" you will have to unsink the single layer from the inside of the birdbaselike constructions, the middle squares where there is conflict inside the rectangles to turn them into triangles will go assimetrically to one side of your choice,
the birdbases have to be unsunk in one go each since they are joined by the truncated point in the middle and cannot be handled independently, the good thing is that since the single flap which must be unsunk is an edge flap you can put your finger right in the construction and unsink easily.
after you have done a full side you will have to repeat on the other side and will have a total of ten points ready to become legs and a pair of eyes!

when you tackle the claws keep your cool because you will have to do another strange move which is almost a double sink while mantaining a construction in place but once you finish that move in 46-47 and finish the preparations up to step 55 you will realize the true beuty of the crab, the symmetry, the beutiful folding sequence and the capacity of making so many points with tiled bird bases!

also recommended are lionfish with it´s cool reconfigured blintz birdbase - central poinsplitting - frogbase
the barracuda with it´s dramatic sinks in the back
and blackdevil anglerfish which is not in "origami under the sea" but in "origami sea life" which has a very very strange asymmetric sink in the endgame!

"origami sea life" is my favourite origami book of all time, eaven above more recent lang books like insects 2 or montroll´s like plethora of polyhedrons

hope this helps
X
crazysquirl

Post by crazysquirl »

Thank you for your answers. But on steps 30 - 32 I don't understand what it's trying to get me to do. I can't get it to look anything remotely close to the diagram pictures.
^.^
garrasdecaiman

Post by garrasdecaiman »

Again after you have collapsed the model with two flaps on each side there are some connected rabbit's ears, since there are two flaps you must unsink the first layer of paper from these turning them in to connected birdbases.
hope it helps
crazysquirl

Post by crazysquirl »

I'm sorry but do you have any pictures. I just don't want to rip it like I did the last time :oops:
^.^
Origami middle east!

Post by Origami middle east! »

Hello!
Here is step 30 viewed from above.
Now all you want to do is unsink the upper layer of the triangles that you folded in step 30. You can see what triangle I mean here.
Turn the valley folds into mountain folds by pulling the paper up.
Do the same for the rest of the triangles; this time there is one difference; every two triangles are linked by a long triangular flap. Just do the same thing you did to the other triangles, put the bottom side on the top and the top side on the bottom (it's kinda hard to explain).
I hope that helped, you should get used to unsink folds, they show up every where :D here is my folded crab;
darkfinder

Re: Blue Crab- Robert Lang

Post by darkfinder »

images no longer working :(