New way to make double tissue

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
ccortner

New way to make double tissue

Post by ccortner »

Hi,

I've been lurking for a while on this forum after watching Sara Adam's video on making double tissue and failing miserably. The result: krinkles and air bubbles galore no matter how careful I was. I experimented with different brushes, MC consistencies, wetting the glass, bottom sheet first, etc.. The air bubbles I could usually get rid of, but the krinkles were fatal. So I finally came up with the following method, hopefully it will be helpful to some of you who have been having similar problems :)

1) Get a piece of 1" diameter PVC long enough to wrap the tissue paper around.
2) Align the two sheets and wrap them around the PVC
3) Gradually work the tissue paper tighter and tighter around the PVC by twisting in the direction that it's wrapped, working your hands from the inside out to get as much air out as possible. Keep going until it's as tight as possible. Do this carefully to avoid creating any wrinkles
4) Tape the middle of the free edge to your glass
5) Using your brush coat the area of the glass where the paper will lay, with MC.
6) While pressing down hard on the ends of the PVC, slowly unroll the paper across the MC allowing time for the paper to soak up the MC under the roller.
7) With any luck the paper should unroll without any krinkles and minimal air bubbles.
8) Coat the top with MC as in Sara's video, working out the rest of the air bubbles
9) Let dry.

Please let me know if this works for any of you!
SK-37

Post by SK-37 »

Sounds like an effective method, but its quite difficult to understand. Video might be better haha :wink:
My Flickr Website is growing! //www.flickr.com/photos/sk-37/
ccortner

Post by ccortner »

Video? I'd like to make a few sheets first to make sure it's reliable.

In the meantime if the instructions are confusing, maybe this will help. The basic idea is to wrap the paper tightly around the tube so that there is no air or krinkles in the roll. Unrolling the paper, while applying pressure, over the MC coated glass keeps air from getting between the paper and glass. Since there is very little air in/under the paper, and the paper is rolled tight, krinkles don't form.

Actually I had a few very minor wrinkles but I was able to run them out with the flat of my fingernail before the paper dried. Still far better than any of my previous attemps
SK-37

Post by SK-37 »

Ah easy to understand!

Do you know if any other surface can be used rather than glass? because glass tables are quite hard to get a hold of :?
ccortner

Post by ccortner »

I'm not sure, I used a window. I think the important thing is that the surface is very flat. Perhaps a nice piece of sheet metal or plexiglass would work just as well. :)

One thing interesting that I noticed with this method is that after unrolling the paper over the MC, the top layer is still a bit dry. I'm thinking it may be still be strong enough at that point to go over with a rubber roller to remove any remaining air bubbles without risking tearing the paper. Then the final layer of MC could be spread. I'll try that next and let you all know.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

You might try various cutting boards (marble or plexiglas) if they are large enough.

Also, the inside of a bathtub, if you can 'quarantine' it.

Never tried either, myself.

- Hank Simon
SK-37

Post by SK-37 »

Haha interesting collection of surfaces to use, cheers guys
ccortner

Post by ccortner »

Just made a second sheet and took a couple snaps of how smooth the paper looks. A few minor air bubbles, but NO wrinkles this time at all :)

Sorry, I'm a bit aloof I fear and didn't think to take pictures of the process. Next time, promise ;)

ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

SK-37 wrote:Ah easy to understand!

Do you know if any other surface can be used rather than glass? because glass tables are quite hard to get a hold of :?
The reason we use glass is that the glue doesn't bond to it very strongly. Glass is pretty cheap at most hardware stores, you could go down and buy a sheet of it for less than $20 USD.
KDianne Stephens

Re: New way to make double tissue

Post by KDianne Stephens »

I often use a "Glue Stick" - it is almost like chap stick and work beautifully for making double tissue paper. It add virtually no thickness or texture to the paper. I stick - pun intended :-) - with the Avery brand, having tried many, this has the smoothest glide in application.
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Re: New way to make double tissue

Post by chesscuber98 »

Glue stick doesnt hold the paper together for complex models.