origami cukoo clock

Need help with folding a model? Ask here.
philipinorigami101

origami cukoo clock

Post by philipinorigami101 »

i need help on step 36 on the cukoo clock in the book "the complete book of origami" by robert j. lang. not the one in "design secrets" to stop the confusion. thanks in advance :D
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

looks like you pull the clock face up while making the required swivel folds. take a look at the next picture to see what the final result should be
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
philipinorigami101

well, its just that how do you fold the part when the 2 folds form a triangle that is next to the horizontal fold?
philipinorigami101

never mind about that fold, but 2 things im now having problems with:
1. in step 44, the flap you have to fold is in the right side, but when i folded it, it was on the left.
2. what paper and paper size is recommended for this? i tried a long strip of a4 paper, but it got too thick.
Falcifer

Post by Falcifer »

I tried getting to that step using a strip of paper I had left over from cutting an A4 sheet into a square, and while I could get to the step (36), the layers were very thick, so I couldn't see exactly how to form the fold.

I did notice that the clock face needs lifting (raising away from the rest, using the connecting piece) and then moving to the other side of that connecting piece.
If you look at step 36, the point of the flap on the left is on the top.
Swivelling the flap from horizontal to vertical would put the point on the right, but in step 37, it's on the left. I didn't notice the difference until after trying the step a few times. And I've folded this before (last year).

There are a few steps like this which could be clearer, so I would just double-check every step to ensure that all layers and flaps are the right way around.

If you've got a flap on the wrong side, go back and check positions, etc.

I used some brown wrapping paper which was quite thin. I don't remember the size. If someone knows the scale of the model, I know that the finished model was about 4-5 inches tall.
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

robert lang specifically says: us a rectangle of FOIL BACKED paper
you can make tissue foil, or buy a roll here http://www.origami-shop.com/en/origami- ... 1-703.html
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!