Extra large paper!

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
polop

Extra large paper!

Post by polop »

I've been looking for very large paper for ages (1m+) Ive been recommended photographic paper which can be up to 3.55m but I dont know haw thick it is. If you know the answer or have any suggestions please reply!
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

I too am looking for huge paper and can't find it anywhere. if you find it, let us all know!
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

What kind of large paper? Getting common types of paper like kraft, newsprint, drafting and tracing paper in large rolls is relatively easy; look up your local yellow pages for paper dealers. You'll have to buy in bulk though, but once you've gotten that 1.2m x 500m kraft paper roll, I can guarantee that you'll never, ever need to buy kraft paper again.

It's harder to find exotic papers in rolls, mostly because a lot of these are handmade in sheets. However, large sheets of japanese rice papers can be found online; these are primarily used for making paper screens for doors, blinds and lampshades, so they tend to come in large sizes:
http://www.rice-paper.com/
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

nice one wolf. should have known to ask you first. I just have to wait till I have a place I live in permanantly. i'd hate to have to shift it every time i moved. Might be moving up north in canadia soon though... lots of time for origami up there
polop

Post by polop »

thanks for that wolf. But on pocket money I wont be able to afford that paper in that larger rolls!. Has any one had experiece from backing paper because its been recomended by people at bos,but they were unsure how thik it was. If anyone can answer this question I would be very happy :D
(hint: the reason I would like it is to make the eastern dragon by Kamiya so any other suitable papers to be reccomended would be great.)
I feel that the rice paper would be too thick and akward to fold with.
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Larger art supply stores will have smaller (and thus cheaper) rolls of paper available. My local art store has 1.4 m rolls that are 10 m long. Depending on the type of paper, they range from about $15 up to $70. (I just bought a $70 roll of white Fabriano Tiziano to fold one of my exhibit pieces for the OUSA convention.)

For Kamiya's ryuzin, you'll want as large a sheet of as thin a paper as you can get. A good strong Japanese paper would work well, preferably something with a mixture of kozo fibres (for strength) and gampi fibres (for smoothness). Such papers can also be found in rolls, usually about 1 m by 10-20 m. They are, unfortunately, NOT cheap.

Please note that rice paper is actually a foodstuff made of rice flour. It does not fold well. Japanese handmade paper is properly called washi. Unfortunately a few people still persist in calling it "rice paper".
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Rice paper will work for simple things like the crane. Melts in your mouth, not in your hand!

Over here in SE Asia, I've heard that some paper makers do call paper made from a mix of mulberry and rice fibres 'rice paper'. The incorporation of rice stalks makes it hard to work with, particularly when the stalk lies across a crease.

Haven't heard of backing paper. Is there another name it goes by?

Here's the crazy 1.2m kraft paper roll. It's about as heavy as an empty gas cylinder and just as large. Lugged it halfway across the world. :P
A quarter of my paper stash:

The stuff in front is 2000 sheets of lokta (SGD$1300, S&H included). :)
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

is there anyone who will deliver these rolls to an indian reservation in northern alberta?
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

hermanntrude wrote:is there anyone who will deliver these rolls to an indian reservation in northern alberta?
For the right price, I'm sure you'll be able to find someone. :D Or, you could just have it delivered to the nearest airport, and then drive it back yourself.
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

spose i'll have to buy a car and learn to drive then :)
polop

Post by polop »

This is a similer paper to backing paper. do you think it is suitable? http://www.lastolite.com/paperrolls.php
do you know a online store selling kozo/gampi paper?
I will be very happy if these are answered :D
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

The suitability of the paper would depend on what you're trying to fold, so it'll be a bit hard to answer that question!

Here are places online that sell kozo, gampi and other handmade papers:
http://www.hiromipaper.com/index.htm
http://www.hollanders.com/index.shtml
polop

Post by polop »

Is 26 g/m paper to thin for use with most models
I guess It would be good for ryuzin
http://www.hiromipaper.com/store/produc ... 287&page=1
this is a reasonable price made from decent fibers is this a good paper to buy (metric measures 96cm by 910cm ish)
plz help Its allot of money to waste if the paper isnt good!
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

See if you can ask for a sample - 26 gsm is good for extremely complex models, although it may need to be resized for better stiffness.
polop

Post by polop »

I could get a sample but you have to pay for it (you can almost buy the next best paper with that money) How neccessary would it be to resize this paper do you thing I dont have the stuff to resize. is this paper going to be strong enough to use?