A Perfect Fold.

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You could also try to fold with only one hand, but I think we´re going off topic...
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

Or, if you want a challenge, I encourage everybody to fold in a darkened theater.
yeah, and if your lass catches you doing this, you can also learn to fold with a black eye :D

Christian
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

No, I think your boyfriend will catch your paper before you are able to begin... :wink:
thegnome54

Post by thegnome54 »

I feel like a caveman, but I usually just grab a sheet of copy paper and make a horizontal valley fold from a corner, bisecting it, then make another fold along the edge of the resulting triangle that has paper sticking out, crease that really hard, and rip it. Usually this makes a perfect square with very little fringe, and it's easy to get, cheap, and larger than conventional origami paper from craft stores. Am I doing myself a disservice or does it not really matter for models that aren't ridiculously complex?
I don't want no sign-ture!
...darn!
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

No, a lot of us use that method too, especially when we're stuck in boring meetings. :D It does give a fuzzy edge though, so if your finished model is such that there's a raw edge showing, it might, or might not be aesthetically appealing.

There's actually a name given to models that don't mind a bit of imperfection in the starting square. I don't recall who coined the term, but they're called 'forgiving folds'.

Complexity isn't always an indication whether a model is unforgiving though. I've found that a lot of modulars, particularly those by Tomoko Fuse, require perfect squares and perfect folding if you want to be able to assemble them neatly later on.
thut

Post by thut »

A messy or ripped edge can look great in some models like Lang's lion http://langorigami.com/art/gallery/gall ... ?name=lion
origami93

Post by origami93 »

i am trying to cut a square out of wrapping paper. how would i know if all the angles are 90 degrees if i'm cutting from the center of a big piece of paper?
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

You can find some hints about cutting paper to squares in the topic about making tissue foil: viewtopic.php?t=764
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I looked through the 5+ pages of this thread and didn't find an answer but if I skipped it, my apologies.

Is there any advantage of using a rotary cutter over an Xacto knife?
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Yes - there's less risk of dragging and tearing the paper with a rotary cutter. If you hit a particularly tenacious fibre with a knife, it could get stuck on the blade, and then rip the paper as the blade travels. With the rotary cutter, since the blade just goes round and round (sort of a put down-roll cut-lift off), this kind of ripping is less likely to happen.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

wolf wrote:Yes - there's less risk of dragging and tearing the paper with a rotary cutter. If you hit a particularly tenacious fibre with a knife, it could get stuck on the blade, and then rip the paper as the blade travels. With the rotary cutter, since the blade just goes round and round (sort of a put down-roll cut-lift off), this kind of ripping is less likely to happen.
I was hoping the answer was the other way around, that the Xacto was better than the RC. I have never seen a RC in my life but now I want one!!!
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Ah, but it's easier to stay straight with an X-acto blade than with a rotary cutter. Of course, your mileage will vary.
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

It helps if you have a thick steel ruler. That way, you can slap the edge of the rotary cutter against it to minimize straying.

Anyway, in the end it probably boils down to practice and familiarisation with your cutting tool of choice.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

wolf wrote:No, a lot of us use that method too, especially when we're stuck in boring meetings.
They don't have to be boring! Now, whenever paper (or napkins, or even plastic bags) touches my fingers, I automatically start folding... all this origami is really getting to my brain, and I think that might be a problem when summer break is over and school starts again! :P :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

I have found that a plain old knife is the best cutting tool in existence, or a sharp one at least :D . I'm sure all of you have used the old slap a fold with a ruler from the inside trick. It work well enough in places like classrooms, but the tear is ugly, what to do? Use a sharp knife instead of a ruler!!! The sharper the better, and you don't have to worry about it not being straight, because it only cuts on the fold, which of course is perfectly straight. 8)
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos