Algorithmic Origami?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Tjips

Algorithmic Origami?

Post by Tjips »

"Algorithmic Origami" is my name for the simple process I've used to create two nice models. The only difference in the folding of the two models is in in the shape of the paper before you start the algorithm. I can't as of yet post pics of these two models, but I'm working on it.

My question is: Have any of you encountered such models before? (namely, startin at different points and then repeating the exact same steps to end up with two distict and vastly different models?)
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Most of my flower designs on my homepage are based on the same principle. Only difference is to use different bases as starting point (e.g. blintzing) or using multiple iterations of the same idea.
I can't say that the models are vastly different since they are all flowers (or stars) but they are different nevertheless. :)

I wouldn't call this approach "algorithmic" though, for me it's just a more directed way of "doodling" - trying things I've already done on interesting bases I come across.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

Ah, but you see, I think their is a slight difference in what you speak of and in what I'm speaking of. The steps I repeated are a bit more basic that repeating the "squash-rabbit_ear-squash-..." kind of thing. My two designs are basically the same cp! (minor changes)
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
hermanntrude

Post by hermanntrude »

i think to be able to continue discussion baout the models we need complete diagrams and pictures :)
blahblahblahboringsignatureblahblahblah
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

True, or at least the CP would be helpful to see more exactly what you mean :)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

Ok, ok! I'm working on the cp's as I'm typing this. Man you guys are a tough croud! :lol:

My Photos
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

The first one's cp you should find here http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c158/ ... jitacp.jpg

I'll post the next one a bit later on. To do this one: Red:=valley fold and black:=mountain fold. To collapse valley the long diagonal(red) the basically crimp starting at A. The last three sixteenths are inverted to form the head. (The collapse is like that of the shell/wave) Fold the large flaps down like wings. The model should hold some resemblance to the traditional parajita.

note the copyright (just in case :D )

My Photos