Satoshi Kamiya's New Book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
phillipcurl

Re: Satoshi Kamiya's New Book

Post by phillipcurl »

so apparently, 16 models weren't all. The cycclomatus metalifer is also being included, along with the cicada nypmh.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
origami-artist-galen

Post by origami-artist-galen »

phillipcurl wrote:so apparently, 16 models weren't all. The cycclomatus metalifer is also being included, along with the cicada nypmh.
No, it's still 16 they were listed already. After a bit of initial disappointment I do like the models and will probably buy the book eventually. I try not to spend the money, but I had to get Komatsu's book and a bit of paper, that's it for now.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

check the facebook, shuki :)
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
StefOmega

Post by StefOmega »

phillipcurl wrote:check the facebook, shuki :)
You're talking about the pictures, I think, isn't?
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

oh crap, they were already in the contents.... dont know how i didnt see that.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
StefOmega

Post by StefOmega »

Now, I'm curious to see if Cerberus is improved, or if it's the same version as in Tanteidan Convention.
maxdanger

Post by maxdanger »

StefOmega wrote:Now, I'm curious to see if Cerberus is improved, or if it's the same version as in Tanteidan Convention.
I think that it is improved because in tanteidan convention book 15 it has 16 pages but according to the table of contents on origamihouse's website it has 19 pages... Hope it is!!!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

amazing.

the difference between cerberus v1 and v1.1 is just the cp for the head(s). the way people are drooling for the minor differences in the cp and acting like it might be a revelation is just... amazing. as if between v1 and v1.1 it requires a closed unsink for each eye and ear. it's just a few lines in the cp guys. but par for the course, really. for the record, the kabutomushi went from 17 pages in the tanteidan to 19 pages in world of super complex origami. the differences are minor, does not appear to impact the final appearance of the model, and was a clarification, not "making more complex."

the addition of the minotaur in place of the spinosaurus etc., etc., is also interesting. i think he was just following a theme of mythological creatures. many creators have remarked on the rather boring nature of the cp for the minotaur.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

-Who is drooling?
-Why are you so worked up?
-"Many creators" (citation needed)
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

kareshi wrote:-Who is drooling?
-Why are you so worked up?
-"Many creators" (citation needed)
- everyone who seems so eager that the diagrams in vol 2 will be for the "complex" version of the cerberus. as if v1.1 was "uncomplex" or something.
- i'm not, just amazed (but not really). as i said, the differences between the two appear to be minimal at best. and frankly, daniel, the the number of posts expressing disappointment and frowning emoticons since the list of diagrams was published speaks for itself.
- at least jared, who no longer posts here. not gonna dig up the thread. just because they found the cp unremarkable means only that, though. i've always liked the aesthetics of the design, but after folding it can see where they are coming from. the shaping goes on forever, and is not that much fun. also, unfortunately, to really get the final look that kamiya has, you probably definitely need super-thin, super strong paper and will need to use wire/glue. even the large foil from nicolas terry is too thick. YMMV.

also, hate to point this out. but the pic of the minotaur looks suspiciously "ab-less." whoops, the "simple" version again!
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Baltorigamist wrote:Those of you who are "disappointed" with the model selection can watch us all waste our money on diagrams that we don't have. As I think I mentioned earlier, I can't afford to buy all the other Tanteidan magazines, etc. That's the good thing about an anthology--it provides one source for things that had previously been scattered all over the place.
Sure, the model variety might not be quite as good as last time, but what did you expect? Leafy Sea Dragon? Tenma? Ryujin 3.5?
It's been stated before, and not just by me. Those of you who are disappointed don't have to buy the book. We're lucky Satoshi is even releasing this book.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Langko

Post by Langko »

Can't wait to get the book! I know most of these models are already published in other publications but I don't have most of those publications. It will be good to get all his models in one place. Plus I really want to fold his Phoenix again. I already folded it from the cp but the wings are really hard to shape properly. I want to fold it with the wings the way they should be.
The only limit in origami is your imagination and your patience
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/langko/
kereba

Post by kereba »

Has anyone received the book already? I know it's soon but I preordered so they shipped them since the 14th other japanese books have gotten here in 4 days :P just to know updates from you guys
toto93

Post by toto93 »

Does this book coming out mean the first will go out of print? Because I have neither but want both, but can only really afford one, what with being a penniless student and all. Anyway, I'm kinda more interested in getting wosk2 because I've already folded some of wosk1's stuff from, let's just say, electronic sources, Sorry :oops: , but if wosk1 will become unavailable then I dont want to miss it.
Make sense?
If anyone has any advice, I'd be grateful.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

^I honestly don't know if WOSK1 will go out of print or not.
(I will admit I did the same thing a while ago, but I now have a hard copy of WOSK1, and I'm planning to buy WOSK2 as soon as I can. :lol:)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr