Satoshi Kamiya's New Book

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
NL3181

Re: Satoshi Kamiya's New Book

Post by NL3181 »

Too bad only 2 unpublished models(Phoenix and Tree Frog)
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

well, looks like i need to go get another job. the last book of his, as i stated earlier, i got for $40. i'm not sure if i'm ready to shell out 80 bucks for a book, whether i own the diagrams or not.

@NL3181 - there are 3 unpublished models. His raccoon dog was never officially published, as it was only taught in a convention.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
StefOmega

Post by StefOmega »

phillipcurl wrote:well, looks like i need to go get another job. the last book of his, as i stated earlier, i got for $40. i'm not sure if i'm ready to shell out 80 bucks for a book, whether i own the diagrams or not.

@NL3181 - there are 3 unpublished models. His raccoon dog was never officially published, as it was only taught in a convention.
Ok, but even if the Raccoon Dog is unpublished, there are only 3 upon 20: it is the 15% of unpublished models. At the cost of ¥ 5700, it is ¥ 1900 each model. Just a little too much, I think.

Satoshi Kamiya is one of the greatest origami artists in the world, we know it, and his books are the proof, but I am a little disappointed, this time, by his new book.
There are lots of models that have never been published yet: the Wasp, the Styracosaurus, the Leafy Sea Dragon, the Mixopterus, the Cyriopalus, the Ant, the Darwins Beetle, the Dragonfly, and more. I don't think that peolpe who already have most of his diagrams will buy this book too, just for only 3 models.
Bass

Post by Bass »

This also makes me curious as to where those leaked Ryu-Zin diagrams are going to end up if they indeed were real.
origami-artist-galen

Post by origami-artist-galen »

Color me disappointed as well, wow. I think the model selection in his first book was much better. And also, isn't it strange that the Phoenix is perhaps the oldest model in the book (2002) and yet it is also the one we're most excited about?
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

why are people complaining?

you wanted the tree frog, even though lang and struchley have perfectly nice tree frogs, and you got the tree frog instead of styracosaurus.

the model number is smaller, but on average the number of steps is higher than with komatsu.
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

People are complaining because they're giving us mostly published models. I think everyone was hoping for some new ones.
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

While hardcore fans who've been chasing his models in various publications over the years may be disappointed, I really like this selection.
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
Kafar
Forum Sensei

Post by Kafar »

I think there will be 4 unpublished diagrams - check the number of pages for cerberus :D so it will be 4/16 - 1/4 almost the same ratio as in WOSK (4/20 - 1/5)
Also minotaur probably will have steps showing how to shape the chest.
Last edited by Kafar on October 25th, 2012, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

Looks good to me! Will buy as soon as printed.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Kafar wrote:I think there will be 4 unpublished diagrams - check the number of pages for cerberus :D
So are you saying it might be a newer version?

Personally, I don't see what all the disappointment is about. I don't have any of the old Tanteidan magazines or convention books (or new ones, for that matter), so this book is basically a cheap way to get all the diagrams like with Komatsu's book. I can definitely say that once I get the money I'll buy both this and Komatsu's (maybe Christmas...? *crosses fingers*).
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
merman

Post by merman »

Well we all know all these models circulate on te web illegally. Buying this book is a good way to show the creator some respect and credit. I never regretted buying the Komatsu book even though I knew about 90% of the models.

What wonders me most: the Cerberus in Tanteidan Convention Book is 3 pages shorter than the one presented here. Maybe it is the more complex version?
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

FrumiousBandersnatch wrote:People are complaining because they're giving us mostly published models. I think everyone was hoping for some new ones.
anyone who thought this book was gonna be anything more than an anthology + phoenix diagrams was fooling themselves, in all honesty.
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

Oh Bethnor :) I've missed your cynicism ;)
Bubo

Post by Bubo »

Bethnor's not being cynical, just realistic. Satoshi first book was a compilation of already published models, why would this one be any different? If you already have all the published diagrams and think shelling out another $70 for the pheonix and tree-frog is to much then don't - but winging about it seems at best unrealistic to me.