Traditional model or not?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Julie

Traditional model or not?

Post by Julie »

Hi my kids and I used to fold an elephant since they were in kindergarden.. It looks like the blue elephant you can see here:
http://www.origami.art.pl/diagramy.php?dzial=MT&wsk=55
Is it a traditional model? and how about the jumping frog lower in the same page?
Thanks for all informations about it :D
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

It says for the elephant and the frog (and most other models on that page) "model tradycyjny" which, although my Polish knowledge is almost none existant, sounds very much like "traditional model" to me :)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Julie

Post by Julie »

As you surely saw i'm not verry good in english and i don't tell you about understand Polish...I want to be sure of it, i'm looking for all traditionnal models,i'm teaching origami after school as a parascolar activity and i'm drawing my diagram for it and i don't wan't to use copyrighted material without permission.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

The jumping frog is definitely a traditional model. I don't know about the elephant though.
If you're looking for more traditional models, there's a whole bunch of them at Dave Petty's Model of the Month page :)

Hmmm.... anyone knows if there is a listing of ALL traditional models floating around somewhere?
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
jeadams

Re: Traditional model or not?

Post by jeadams »

Hi Julie!

http://www.poltran.com/ translates "model tradycyjny" to "model traditional".

Jim
Julie

Post by Julie »

Just a word: Thanks! :D
Julie

Post by Julie »

Daydreamer wrote:Dave Petty's Model of the Month page :)

Hmmm.... anyone knows if there is a listing of ALL traditional models floating around somewhere?

I went there and saw that none of the 3 models of jumping frog was the same as the one i put a link to the picture on the polish web page... :(
That would be really cool if there would be a listing of all the traditional models !!
Edwin Corrie

Post by Edwin Corrie »

The Elephant is Kasahara's, published in "Creative Origami" (1967) and later without credit in Zülal Aytüre-Scheele's first book. The Frog looks familiar. I can't place it exactly, but it's not the standard one.

The Dog and the Duck on the same page are not really traditional either. Both are fairly obvious things that are easy to invent and can't really be claimed by anyone (although the Dog looks like a simplification of other 2-piece dogs I've seen). The term "neo-traditional" has sometimes been used for models like this.

Kasahara has done some research into the classic traditional models, though I'm not sure if he's published his findings.