OrigamiHouse Next Publication List

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
bethnor
Buddha

Re: OrigamiHouse Next Publication List

Post by bethnor »

next book from origami house will be works of katsuta kyohei, available january next year. glad to see mostly original models, though i do think some of the models were published in the JOAS special edition, and the blakiston fish owl is more or less a complex modification of the early owl.
rdrutel

Post by rdrutel »

Nice!
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

Looks like a very good selection of models. Even the non-pure origami ones (which I'm not usually a fan of) look very nice.
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

"non-pure" is relative. with a red panda, for instance, there is no way to design an "authentic" red panda without "cheating," because you need a minimum of three colors, as its most "defining" feature is its face, which is white, with a red outline and black "spectacles", which cannot be achieved using "pure" origami. even very well designed ones, like QT's, need very specific paper choices, and even under those circumstances, just looks like a racoon that's red.
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

New book

elegance of origami

Does anyone know if the divine dragon here is different from the version in works of Satoshi?
Merlyngami

Post by Merlyngami »

thedeadsmellbad wrote:Does anyone know if the divine dragon here is different from the version in works of Satoshi?
It looks exactly the same to me.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

so, is that rhinoceros diagrammed, and if so, whose is it? the translated table of contents doesn't have it listed.
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

bethnor wrote:so, is that rhinoceros diagrammed, and if so, whose is it? the translated table of contents doesn't have it listed.
サイ:パク・ジョンウ
It is a model from Korean creator Park Jeong Woo.
I can't tell for sure because there is no detail, but it should be diagrammed (between pages 211 and 223? Page 224 is the start of the hippo of Yoo Tae Yong).
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

thedeadsmellbad wrote:New book

elegance of origami

Does anyone know if the divine dragon here is different from the version in works of Satoshi?
according to this tweet (the individual used to run origami house, according to the poorly translated twitter bio), the version is slightly modified. whether this means the diagrams were improved or their might be some structural changes is hard to say.

https://twitter.com/hanako_m/status/1236829133834874880?s=20
sattej

Post by sattej »

Haven't seen much activity on this post the past year, I noted a few things:

2020/March: Makoto Yamaguchi - The Elegance of Origami
This book does have Satoshi Kamiya Bahamut but it is the same Bahamut as in WOSK1. There are no modifications to the diagramming or model, the tweet mentioned above was made in error and then later corrected on 2020-03-11 to confirm this was a mistake. So, nothing new from Kamiya. It is still a great book.

2021/April: Makoto Yamaguchi - New Generation of Ultimate Origami
Uhh the Miyamoto Chuya Grim Reaper is 464 steps. Also has Kamiya's Black Kite, and the Bodo Haag Giraffe looks brilliant. Another really attractive publication.

2021/June: Makoto Yamaguchi - Origami Dragons Premium
So if you notice the cover on this book, it features the Satoshi Kamiya Ancient Dragon but with formed teeth. I took a look at both crease patterns and diagramming sequences from WOSK1 and this new Origami Dragons Premium--basically, both versions have identical structural layout, except for the head. So overall sheet ratios are the same and there is a different precreasing and collapsing sequence applied to the Origami Dragons Premium head that gives some extra paper for teeth. This makes the diagram a bit longer but otherwise they are structurally identical. Also features a rare Joseph Wu diagram, for his Grand Dragon.
sattej

Post by sattej »

2021/August: Gen Hagiwara - Origami Works of Gen Hagiwara
Just announced July 25th, OrigamiHouse will release a Gen Hagiwara book toward the end of August. Reported at 180 pages with 20 models. The listed models only seem to come up on the Japanese-language page and not the English-language one, but anyway Google translate says they are:

15º Snail
Mouse 2017
Bat
Risu (Squirrel) 2015
Fox cub / Little fox (thanks Kabuntan for correction!)
Kiwi
Rabbit 2016
House Shrew
Pigeon
Owl
Bird
Wild Boar 2019
Uribo (Boar)
Mameshiba
Sea Otter
Snake
Rooster 2016
Brachiosaur
Origin Dragon
Koala

Looking forward to this next publication, pre-orders are being accepted for it currently.
Last edited by sattej on July 28th, 2021, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

Thanks for the information! Can't wait for it to get available, I really like Hagiwara's models and diagrammed sequences!

Just a note:
Risu (Squirrel) 2015
Koala
Kiwi
Between Squirrel 2015 and Kiwi, it is not Koala (which is at the end of the list) but Little fox (or Fox cub).
(こぎつね:子狐)
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

The book is very good.
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

don't mean to raise hopes. i don't know if takashi hoyjo's book is finally going to be published? i got a tweet/retweet from one of the origami accounts i follow, and it had a layout with his models. if it's happening, it is definitely following origami house tradition (i.e., lots of previously released diagrams). sadly i couldn't dig up the tweet, even though i thought i had liked it. amongst the models i saw were the matraya, the recently published centaur and that one that was partially diagrammed... forget the name.
alphayash

Post by alphayash »

bethnor wrote: June 13th, 2022, 1:51 am don't mean to raise hopes. i don't know if takashi hoyjo's book is finally going to be published? i got a tweet/retweet from one of the origami accounts i follow, and it had a layout with his models. if it's happening, it is definitely following origami house tradition (i.e., lots of previously released diagrams). sadly i couldn't dig up the tweet, even though i thought i had liked it. amongst the models i saw were the matraya, the recently published centaur and that one that was partially diagrammed... forget the name.
Still it would be really great if takashi hoyjo's book is published but thanks for the info I will look into the matraya. That also sounds very interesting.