Kamiya Satoshi - who is he?

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Fishgoth

Kamiya Satoshi - who is he?

Post by Fishgoth »

A request for those who know a bit more than I do. Kamiya Satoshi is undoubtably a great folder and designer. His website has some amazing photos (http://www.folders.jp), and is updated far too infrequently for my liking! It also seems that everyone on this forum has folded his Ancient dragon.

Well, I've seen the models. And a photo of him, which makes him look about 12. But I know nothing about this genius. Can anyone tell me a bit more about him?
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

There's a short biography of him on this page:
http://www.papercrane.org/index.php?a=7 ... an&i=3#bio
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

You want know, he not like show much his new works (Dimetron,Temma) But he like game like fantasy and some robot. Most signify the Yu Jun big dragon with scales. Hes good fold but their many other like tanka.
Kaimon

Post by Kaimon »

maybe i can tell you something about him...i´ve been living at his house for a week at the time of the tanteidan convention last year...
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

maybe i can tell you something about him...i´ve been living at his house for a week at the time of the tanteidan convention last year...
I have already waited for your entry Kaimon, but didn't want to push you to do it :) you already told me, that he's a nice person, but anything would be of interest for us.
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

not so nice :(
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

not so nice
really? what did he do to you?
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

You want know? Quiet, no fold help, shelfish. Look book cover inside BAD "not kind person such that I would like my model folded by many... Kids, which I was one of". Still he Kid "diagram not prime concern" (I think means different :( ). Plus other few enconter if you want message send but better you see him. He fold good but their many 'Nice' genious, many other like tanka, hojo OK.

how he nice do you?

Rock n robot
kaerusan

Post by kaerusan »

arf :x
first of all "we" don't want him to be nice or friendly or else...
he's a great origami MASTER and what we can expect from him is to continue to amaze us with his great models(and so designs),and give inspiration to others creators as well!
Look book cover inside BAD "not kind person such that I would like my model folded by many... Kids, which I was one of". Still he Kid "diagram not prime concern" (I think means different ).
he's honest that's all....
diagramming not he's prime concern,but what about is creativity??
plenty of good creators gives only CP to folders,are they "not so nice" for all??
aarrgghh :twisted:
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

how he nice do you?
I don't know him, so I can't tell if whether he's a nice person or not. Kaimon told me somewhen (at a convention I think) about him.
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

but what about is creativity??
What?
Look book cover inside BAD "not kind person such that I would like my model folded by many...
not kind person, his stuff is good but this person (it is not just not sharing but other aspect).
plenty of good creators gives only CP to folders,are they "not so nice" for all??
aarrgghh :twisted:
Most least they help to folds and nice, he not Ok do you see, not likes. :(.
This why I enjoy for other good creaters.
Nick

Re: Kamiya Satoshi - who is he?

Post by Nick »

Fishgoth wrote:But I know nothing about this genius. Can anyone tell me a bit more about him?
I've met him twice - we were both guests of the MFPP in 2004 and I had a fair contact with him in Tokyo whilst guest of JOAS last year. He's a young man, very quiet & shy, understands English fairly well but is understandably less keen to speak it!

To my mind, he's top of the tree if you like technical folding combined with a deft and artistic touch. I've never even attempted to fold his designs (way over my head) but they are a delight to see and often so much smaller than you'd expect from the photo! He's part of the newer "crease pattern" folders, who can look at a CP and see where it's going without needing to fold it.

Somewhat heretically, he's happy to use glue to keep layers together (it isn't part of the sequence) and I watched fascinated in Paris as he folded a tiny dinosaur, carefully damping each layer with glue before setting it in place. The result was exquisite. He also joined a class of Nicolas Terry's and whlst most of us were happy to fold a collie pulling a rickshaw, he'd done his with all kinds of extra details and even added an expression to the face. Quite phenomenal.