Leftovers...

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
twinsen8

Leftovers...

Post by twinsen8 »

So, you know when you fold and rip a rectangular sheet of paper into a square, and there's always a small rectangle of paper left? Do you ever do anything with it, or do you just throw it away? I've got piles of scraps of paper, and I was wondering if there was something fun to do with them, instead of throwing them away...
Friet

Post by Friet »

I usually make another square out of the smaller rectangle until it gets too small to work with, or I just throw it away. I use an 18x11,5 notebook for folding on the train and during college. Today I made one Anibal Voyer's horse, one Joisel's Rat, a bird base rose and three cranes out of one sheet. The last crane was about one eight' the size of the nail of my thumb.
twinsen8

Post by twinsen8 »

Wow. I stare in awe at your origami prowess... :lol:

(Goes to corner and attempts to make miniscule crane...)
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

If you are getting your squares from A4-sized paper (or any other 1:sqrt(2) proportioned paper) the piece remaining has approximately 1-Dollar bill proportions so it's perfect for trying bill-folds if you don't have Dollars at hand :)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Friet

Post by Friet »

Ooh, that's a good one. I'll try that, thanks!
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Yup, seems someone thought of us Origamists when he/she invented the A-formats. You get a square and a dollar bill-sized paper from one sheet :D
Gerwin
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

Yup, seems someone thought of us Origamists when he/she invented the A-formats. You get a square and a dollar bill-sized paper from one sheet
maybe a kind of conspiracy of the freemasons-origamists against the non-european origami world?? :shock:

I'm dreaming of a world, where even the moneybills are squares 8)
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

I see you guys have stumbled on an interresting subject. :shock: Just an interresting fact about the Ax format. It is formally called a silver rectangle. I think it might have something to do with the silver ratio, :idea: but haven't looked into it. (Try here http://www.answers.com/silver%20ratio) I discovered this fact on Toki Yenn's site, so you might even look there.

But anyway, I normally use the offcuts for modular works, like the Sonobe unit. This is where the huge amount of offcuts is a good thing. :wink:
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

From the rest of the Ax rectangle you can do this cat:
http://www.origamichile.cl/diagramas/in ... /gato.html
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

Rather than fold with those sheets, I've found that they're the perfect size for telephone messages at work. I fill my smock pocket with the half strips, and I always have my note paper at hand.

I know, sacrilidge to use paper for other than it's intended purpose of folding, but it's surprisingly useful in this capacity. :)
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Wow, someone still uses paper to write on it :shock:
I thought that usage was abandoned when computers came up :)
Gerwin
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

Ah computers! They may rule the world, but as long as there are lavatories, there WILL be paper! Speaking of which...

does anybody know of fun bathroom folds?
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Gerwin