Zoo!!

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
iAm4free

Zoo!!

Post by iAm4free »

Today I have decided to create a Zoo with animals and trees!!! I would love to have your comments! I have created these animals now:

1. Bison
2. Crocodile
3. Octopus
4. Anteater
5. Rat
6. Ram
7. Kangaroo
8. Boxer Dog [This won't belong to the zoo :)]
9. Sea Horse
10. Kingfisher
11. Lobster
12. Pig
13. Peacock

I will post pictures every weekend!! I needed some suggestions as to how I can make the water animals look good, I can't put the paper models in water.... I want to make the zoo very realistic. I plan to make all the animals proportional to their size, in the Real Zoo... so that kids will like to see it at a later point of time.

Do u guyz suggest I make more than one model of different sizes of the same animal? I thought of this...

2. Crocodile
[img]http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... 0017fv.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img78.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... 0026ca.jpg[/img]
Last edited by iAm4free on March 28th, 2006, 10:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
esato

Post by esato »

No giraffe ?
I´ve just folded one by Hideo Komatsu!
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

I like the idea! With so many animal diagrams out there, there is virtually no limit to the amount one could expand.

For the water animals, perhaps you could suspend them with fishing line in blue boxes, or possibly aquariums.
Kaimon

Post by Kaimon »

but i don´t think you can fold every animal to its proportional size...
for example, the crocodile has a size of 10-20cm...how small has the rat to be then?
you should divide your zoo into two sections:
one for the bigger animals and one for the smaller ones ike the rat...

but it´s a good idea at all! i like it...
once i tried to create a origami-zoo, too...
but at that time i was too bad at origami so that i didn´t finish the zoo...^^
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

but i don´t think you can fold every animal to its proportional size...
Lionel Albertino has a good animal-proportion-chart in his book "safari origami".
iAm4free

Post by iAm4free »

Hey guyz! thanks for all your suggestions. I was planning to first make the Elephant and the Giraffe. These I guess are the largest animals in the zoo. Probably I can make them about 8-10 Inches.... and based on that I plan to do the other models. I don't have access to many origami books in India, I just have access to the net and the models available there and a few of my own models. Anyways I liked the idea of suspension of models for the water animals..... I kind of have a crazy feeling like I want to put them in water. I need to see if Aluminium Foil is available.... but I have never done models before on Aluminium Foil. I will probably think over for some more time before I start with the water animals, looks like at the speed I am going it will take me quite some time to complete the zoo. I am going at 1 model a day... doh!! I think its a little slow but if I sit for more than 3 models a day I get bored.... I will keep in touch with u guyz.... and post more pics!
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

iAm4free wrote:Do u guyz suggest I make more than one model of different sizes of the same animal? I thought of this...
Yes, you should definitely do that and if possible try the same animal with different diagrams to add some diversity. It would be nice to have male / female / kid variants of each model if possible. Especially for lions you need a male and a female one.
iAm4free wrote:I kind of have a crazy feeling like I want to put them in water.
I don't think that's such a good idea. Even if you get the right kind of water-resistant paper for folding it wouldn't look too good in display because the water kinda blurs the vision and will take away a lot of the model details. You should rather create a watery background (like wrinkled blue paper/foil or something)

On the whole I think that an Origami zoo is a very nice idea.
If you can get some books by Yoshihide Momotani you should get some nice ideas on how to create accessories and surroundings for the animals.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
malachi

Post by malachi »

There are two things that usually trip me up about this kind of project.

1. As mentioned, scale can be an issue if you're trying to make it close to realistic. If you fold an elephant from 10 inch paper, what size paper do you use for a duck/racoon/rabbit/fox/mongoose/snake/lizard/spider/frog/koi/etc. that makes it the correct relative size?

2. Lack of consistency in Level of Detail. While I have diagrams for just about any kind of animal found in a zoo, it is often difficult to find each animal with a similar level of detail, unless they are all from the same book/designer.
iAm4free

Post by iAm4free »

malachi wrote:There are two things that usually trip me up about this kind of project.

1. As mentioned, scale can be an issue if you're trying to make it close to realistic. If you fold an elephant from 10 inch paper, what size paper do you use for a duck/racoon/rabbit/fox/mongoose/snake/lizard/spider/frog/koi/etc. that makes it the correct relative size?
I will be using a 3/4 inch paper for these creatures. I will have to find models which are simple enough to fit into these sizes!
2. Lack of consistency in Level of Detail. While I have diagrams for just about any kind of animal found in a zoo, it is often difficult to find each animal with a similar level of detail, unless they are all from the same book/designer.
True Malachi I agree with this, if I am not able to find diagrams to fit into the zoo, I will perhaps try to do something by myself. This would take me more time. I might not concentrate on the details to start with I will concentrate on it once I can filter out models from the zoo at a later point of time.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

- St. Francis of Assisi
iAm4free

Post by iAm4free »

I don't think that's such a good idea. Even if you get the right kind of water-resistant paper for folding it wouldn't look too good in display because the water kinda blurs the vision and will take away a lot of the model details. You should rather create a watery background (like wrinkled blue paper/foil or something)

On the whole I think that an Origami zoo is a very nice idea.
If you can get some books by Yoshihide Momotani you should get some nice ideas on how to create accessories and surroundings for the animals.
True I realized :) Trying for too much at the start I was.... I plan to delay the water creatures for a later point of time, I'll start with the creatures on Land.

regards,
Nikhil.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

- St. Francis of Assisi