Teaching origami to the developmentally disabled

General discussion about Origami, Papers, Diagramming, ...
Thelemic Potter

Teaching origami to the developmentally disabled

Post by Thelemic Potter »

Last week I kind of volenteered to teach origami to handicapped adults. Went today and had a good time doing so, but now I need to work on future sessions. I mostly worked with one person there, he has the dexterity and mental abbility to get good, but it's going to be a tough road.

The diagrams I used today (from an origami paper set) were AWFUL. It took me 10 minutes to figure out the box with only 6 pictures. The instructions presented clearly did not show you how to fold a box. I don't think diagrams are going to be too useful, but I could use some help finding the clearest, step by step with no assumption made sets to help guide my students. I am especially interested in 2 types of models, some VERY simple things for a few of the people who want to do origami but, more likely won't be able to fold a piece of paper in half, and a stack of things to do with the crane base for the better students.

I never thought I'd end up doing something like this (i offered my services out of bordem and whim, not planned at all, probably all the sleep deprivation had alot to do with it) and I have to say I really enjoyed my time today.
Love.
Potter.
Love is the Law, love under will.
iAm4free

Post by iAm4free »

Hey that's really nice!! I used to teach children too a couple of years back... I used to have a class of about 15 kids for three days, 2 hours per session. Ofcourse they were normal children. I chose to do these models:
1st Day
1. Gold Fish (simple)
2. Ring
3. Star Box
4. Morning Glory Flower (simple)
5. Frog (simple)
6. Pigeon (simple)
7. Bird which Flaps its wings
Out of the seven models on the first day they were able to do everything but with help, later I realized I should have put the patterns with the basic shape involved in the end, when the students are accustomed with folding the simpler models.

2nd Day
1. 4Piece Modular Aeroplane
2. Lobster
3. Joker's Cap (Own Model)
4. 3 Piece Purse
5. Hen
6. Vase
7. Turtle
Again I made the same mistake of putting the Lobster as I realized the twist at the tail of the lobster is hard for children below 15 to follow.

3rd Day
1. Crow
2. Whale
3. Motor Boat
4. 4 Legged Box
5. Penguin
6. Swan
Apparently I had all easy models on the third day.

For my next class I did all the easy models first and then the tougher ones and I removed a couple of models of the Schedule as it was getting too tough to handle, Thanks to my sister who helped me while doing this!! But true its great fun to handle classes especially when u see the children faces!! :)

Start with the simple and then the tougher ones. I got one other suggestion, you can teach them the basic shapes like the waterbomb base etc... the first day and then once they practise they will do better the next day. Phew!! long message.... :wink:
"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

- St. Francis of Assisi
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

I'd recommend anyone teaching to a group with learning disabilities to have a look at Jim Smith's website, especially the 'Forgiving folds' section. There is lots of info that you may find useful, along with designs that are both simple and able to be folded by such handicapped people.
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

It would have been nice if you had given a link to his site :wink:
http://www.bitsofsmith.co.uk/
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Yup, thats the one ;-)
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.